Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need advice on how to set up deer-cam? >

Need advice on how to set up deer-cam?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice on how to set up deer-cam?

Old 10-05-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Need advice on how to set up deer-cam?

Added another toy to my collection last year. Spent a couple hundred on a game camera. Although the cam comes with an infrared to indicate field of coverage, my question is this. It seems that you would have to set-up approx. 1 ft. above ground level for deer - (assuming terrain is generally flat). Would this be correct? Or do you put it up high and point it towards the ground? Also, how long would you leave it in the field? (This will be on my private property, but no-one typically in house until opening day. ( House is primarily used in spring & summer.) Last year it was used for 1st time, but was only in field for 4 days - day prior to opening & next 3. Naturally I got nothing. I would like to set up in the next few weeks, & leave it until I go up for opening day - which would give it 4 weeks. Last time I set-up near some huge scrapes, & also put a food block there, but apparently there wasn' t nearly enough time to get anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would be glad to share pics, if I get any! Thanks.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need advice on how to set up deer-cam?

If you want to see what the area holds as far a size and number of bucks, just scatter you out a bag or to of corn in a good area and put your camera on it, it don' t take long for them to find it. The last new spot I did that in I had a couple of rolls of pictures within the first 4 nights. I put my camera for deer from about 24 to 30 inches off the ground, if I think I might get a turkey pic I will set it a little lower.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:43 AM

Thanks Strut. I' ll spread out a load of corn this time, but since I won' t be up there for a couple of weeks, I' ll place another 25lb. food block out there also. That should give me something. Thanks Again!
Old 10-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to scatter it out over an area to where my camera could still get a shot even if its on the outside edge of the scattered corn, some cameras this could be an area say 10X10 or some it could be larger, I also like to put a small pile right in front of my camera, say about 5 feet away, I have several pictures taken like that and you get a good close-up with them looking right at the camera as they come to the pile. If you have several deer and once they find it it won' t last long, especially when you factor in a few squirells and a coon or 2. If you have a problem with getting too many squirell pics. you might want to program your camera to where it takes night-time pics only if you have that option.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 PM

I keep my cam about 3' -3 1/2' off the ground and get plenty of pictures of deer and turkey but never a squirel
l
Old 10-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zeus, something else that may help, trim all the weeds and bushes that might be in the way, Most cameras have what they call a " heat in motion" sensor and most of the time a weed or limb blowing in the wind won' t trip them but every once in awhile they will. Also try to aim your camera either south or north, that helps keep the sun from shining directly on the camera in the early morning and late afternoon hours. Also if you are taking pictures thats looking out across a field or bigger opening try aiming it down just a bit, that helps the sensor from picking up the heat thats radiating up from the ground as it scans across a large area.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:28 PM

looking forward to seeing some pic' s
Old 10-06-2003, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pork Chop, wheres your deer pictures at this year? I have missed seeing them.