Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
IDNR does nothing for the 2014/15 DEER SEASONS. UNBELIEVABLE!!! >

IDNR does nothing for the 2014/15 DEER SEASONS. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IDNR does nothing for the 2014/15 DEER SEASONS. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Demo 92, I forgot about that too. People don't realize its not like it was in the mid 90s because farming practices have changed dramatically. GMO most likely has a big effect too. Coupled with all the other things that have changed with modern farming, more predators and more advanced hunting equipment and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't deer hunting hours sunrise to sunset in the recent past? I may be wrong with that one though.

Personally, i think there is over hunting going on in certain areas but the main culprit for the recent deer decline is the points mentioned above and EHD. As I said before, we just need EHD to go away and we'll rebound fast.

For me, I'll buy the same amount of tags as I usually do. I'll try to take a doe at one of my spots right outside the city of Chicago where we have way to many deer and then have my two buck tags. I always say, first buck over 125" for me it a good buck and I'll take him. I'll have that second buck tag in my pocket in case I see anything over 140". If for some reason my first buck is 140" I'll only shoot something at the 150" or above mark for my second buck or one of the few cull bucks we have running around. My absolute max on deer to take is three and I have only done it once in the past 15 years. Two us plenty but If I do get VERY lucky and take three, they won't go to waste, that is for sure. We still are lucky enough to have a lot of deer and my the looks of it, I only found one doe and one small buck that didn't make it through the winter and the buck I think was a coyote kill last fall.

Two and a half months until I put cameras out and a few weeks until we start seeing the antlers start to grow for next fall. Can't wait!

Oh ya, Rockport, Help a fellow experienced hunter out….a 150 to 170 every year?!? We have them running around but I always seem to either have them just out of range or they catch a swirling wind. I hunt hills and ridges so wind is a big factor for me. Are you a mobile hunter or hunt fixed stands? Any good hints would be appreciated!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Oh ya, Rockport, Help a fellow experienced hunter out….a 150 to 170 every year?!? We have them running around but I always seem to either have them just out of range or they catch a swirling wind. I hunt hills and ridges so wind is a big factor for me. Are you a mobile hunter or hunt fixed stands? Any good hints would be appreciated!
Always fixed stands

I hunt the terrain. Most of the obvious sign is made at night.

here is something you will probably think sounds stupid. Imagine where water would travel........that is the path of least resistance.

Give it a shot. There won't always be deer sign just try it anyway.

Imagine your feeding area flooded......what path would the water take from the feeding area to the bedding area or the other way around? Try hunting there
Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

on a side note for trophy management, I think we need to spread the word about passing up on BIG 2.5yo, I'd rather a guy take a 6pt or 8pt 2.5yo+... and get those poorer genetics out of the pool than taking big 10pt 2.5yo... I would suspect most BIG deer in IL are 2.5-3.5yo 10pts... if we could get them spreading their genes longer we could really see some monsters out there.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rockport, I'll have to take a look at my topos and keep that in mind when I scout. I'm always looking for new ideas to try. I know we have the big bucks running around, I just seem to always come up just a little short with the true giants.

Saluki, I completely agree. We have a lot of basket rack 6 and 8 points and even some good 2.5 year old 9 and 10 points. This is the first year that no one shot any of those up and comers. I'll be curious to see what next year holds. I've already done a day of shed hunting and since the winter kills were very minimal I think we should have some good bucks this fall. I don't think people realize the kind of jump a 2.5 year can make to a 3.5 year old.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Rockport, I'll have to take a look at my topos and keep that in mind when I scout. I'm always looking for new ideas to try. I know we have the big bucks running around, I just seem to always come up just a little short with the true giants.

Saluki, I completely agree. We have a lot of basket rack 6 and 8 points and even some good 2.5 year old 9 and 10 points. This is the first year that no one shot any of those up and comers. I'll be curious to see what next year holds. I've already done a day of shed hunting and since the winter kills were very minimal I think we should have some good bucks this fall. I don't think people realize the kind of jump a 2.5 year can make to a 3.5 year old.
Its basically just hunting funnels,pinch points,shelves etc. Putting those things ahead of obvious deer sign that was likely made at night.

These boys will often sneak by right under your nose. They will be just off of where you think they will be.

Last edited by rockport; 04-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did QDM hunters get banned...

from hunting for five years? They're the perfectionist. And that EHD ain't so perfect.