Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

280 acres in Missouri

Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say its excessive really.

$25 an acre is about right if your going through a middle man like that.

You can certainly find cheaper if you cut out the middle man but like I said if your looking at middle man web sights like that where a middle man handles the business,advertising etc. they have to be paid too so you pay more.

If you look around you can find cheaper but its kind of like a real estate agent when your buying a house.

The rates in the midwest actually get much higher than that. Even double that in some areas.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's about the going rate for land in Illinois and Missouri. I think if anyone thought for a second that $7200 was the buying price they need to get their head checked. There are a lot of good things and bad things about leasing land and a lot of good and bad things about leasing land.

I'd day hunt it for a year, put some time in at the land and run cameras and see how the deer are. If you have a good year, I'd try and lock up a 5 or 10 year deal on the lease. Honestly, by at the aerial maps it looks like a pretty good spot and should hold some nice deer.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should also say I hate leasing agents for hunting land. Trying to make a profit off of hunters by being nothing but the middle man. IMO they are one level above trespassers and two levels above poachers.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

280 acres is a lot of land...also $7200 is a lot of money...you arent going to be able to successfully hunt 280 acres...you will find a few choice spots, if you are rifle hunting maybe have 100yd shot or more (yd) possible on maybe 2-4acres at best(i dont know the specifics of your lease..topography etc.). bow you are under 40yds typically. on less than one acre area...even with multiple hunters you all arent going to cover 280acres...but hey its your money do what you want.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
280 acres is a lot of land...also $7200 is a lot of money...you arent going to be able to successfully hunt 280 acres...you will find a few choice spots, if you are rifle hunting maybe have 100yd shot or more (yd) possible on maybe 2-4acres at best(i dont know the specifics of your lease..topography etc.). bow you are under 40yds typically. on less than one acre area...even with multiple hunters you all arent going to cover 280acres...but hey its your money do what you want.
I disagree with this. I have 1100 acres and I'd like to have more.

The less you can hunt the same spot the better IMO.

More good stands > less good stands

I guess it depends on what kind of hunting your doing. If your just going to hunt a few weekends or just a week or 2 then sure. But if your hunting 6-9 times a week for 3 months it don't take long to cover 280 acres.

I guess that is the question.

Last edited by rockport; 03-14-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Spike

i Agree with buckman missouri has some good hunting
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
I Disagree too. 280 is a good chunk of land but not being able to cover 280 is a lie. I hunt 220 with about 25 acres of ag and the rest in ridges and hills with all timber. I can pick the best areas for the best wind but there are times when I have a wind that I don't have an ideal spot. You can make die with 40 or 80 acres but the more acreage, the more spots you have to hunt and the less spots you burn by hunting 3,4 or more times.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
I Disagree too. 280 is a good chunk of land but not being able to cover 280 is a lie. I hunt 220 with about 25 acres of ag and the rest in ridges and hills with all timber. I can pick the best areas for the best wind but there are times when I have a wind that I don't have an ideal spot. You can make die with 40 or 80 acres but the more acreage, the more spots you have to hunt and the less spots you burn by hunting 3,4 or more times.
Couldn't agree more... Seems as though many folks don't understand how easy it is to ruin a good spot by either over hunting it, or hunting it with an unfavorable wind.

We only own 36.5 acres, but we are surrounded by 1000's of acres of public land that I hunt. I only have 3 elevated stands, all on our property... I more often than not use what I refer to as a "stand site". Which are just places I've found over the years. The first thing I consider before going to any of these places is the wind. Many of these places I may not use in two or three seasons... In case ya can't tell, I don't like to over hunt any one spot.

Take it from a guy that hunts 1000's of acres... 280 acres isn't as much earth as many may think it is.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 to the last two posts!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

And yet I see more deer and have shot bigger bucks off my tiny little 10 Acres in Southern Michigan than I see and shoot in/at our 37 acre UP deer camp backed by 6000 acres of federal land.

Wolves and coyotes and now a bad winter has the deer heard down to the point if you see 4 deer a day in all that acreage you have seen a lot.
Yet with the tiny wood lots in southern Michigan like on 10 acres and lots of farm fields I rarely see less than 20 deer a day and can pick and chose the bucks I want to harvest to keep venison in the freezer.
I have blinds around the place so don't have to hunt the same one every day and with out tromping all over the place the deer are not spooked and seem to keep to their normal feeding bedding patterns.

I even have a blind in my front yard because they come in the afternoon to feed in the lawn.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.