Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

280 acres in Missouri

Old 03-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Spike

allyyooper Thats a really nice stand just wanted to point that out
Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thanks I have 3 on my little 10 acres in Southern Michigan and 4 at the UP deer camp. My favorite there over looks Big Bay DeNoc.
Got a picture some place around here.

Al
Old 03-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbrows, I am from MO and have been in Jeff. Co. several times. Most of it is upland and appears to be good whitetail country. Being within easy driving distance of St. Louis, the lease price does not sound unreasonable.

I hunt in NE MO, upland there is probably more heavily farmed with row crops then typical Jeff. Co. land, so we have about half woods, half open fields. Six of us hunt on 400 acres there and don't get in each other's way. Three of us only hunt the opening weekend of gun season and three hunt the archery season too. We think that we could harvest 8 deer on that farm and not hurt the deer population unless we harvest more does then bucks. We generally only harvest 2 or 3 does per year and have not noticed any ill effects on the deer population. You should be able to have more then one partner on 280 acres of MO upland in a general farming area, I would think that 4 hunters would not be too many depending on any special restrictions.

Last edited by Jenks; 03-16-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alleyooper, I love that spot. Right off the backyard with a good gun stand right there! How far do you have the legs of that stand dug in the ground? I used to hunt out of box blinds in the Northern LP in Michigan and thinking of building one from scratch in the next couple years but need to find a good way to build one that isn't too expensive but sturdy. I'll only be hunting out of it a day or two a year so I don't want to break the bank.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The legs are on a 4"x4"x10' skids. The box part is modular made with OSB before all last years storms. So the price per sheet was reasonable unlike today at almost $15.00 per sheet of 7/16 stuff. Can almost do one in T1-11 for the price of OSB now.

That is my front yard just a mear 50 feet off the road.

Al
Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Spike

THanks guys I ended up going with Muskingum county ohio. 6400 deer harvested in that county last year, and ohios top trophy county. Hopefully I made the right choice.