Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My biggest buck to date

Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Same way here in MI. You aren't even supposed to lean an unloaded gun against a vehicle up here according to a friend who had a friend get ticketed for it. Out in Wyoming you can have a fully loaded gun with one in the chamber in the front seat with you, but before you shoot anything you have to get out and on the other side of the fence or ditch along either side of the road. I think that's a bad deal and just ripe for accidents!
I probably should check into that. I often lay my gun on the tailgate/tool box while I put on/take off the rest of my stuff.

I like the stripe that deer has on his head.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck, congrats.

========
My Uncle who I used to deer hunt with in Wisconsin always said you couldn't lean a gun up against a vehicle. I've never been able to actually find the statute that supposedly forbids this. I always wondered whether it was a myth originating from some overzealous law enforcement officer giving a ticket based on the statute intended to ban people from driving around with a loaded rifle in their vehicle.
I lean mine up against my vehicle now (in Illinois) in parking lots on heavily hunted public land and no one has ever said a thing .
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

NC is different, very liberal in our gun and hunting laws for the most part. Only stipulation I can think of is Road Hunting Local laws prohibit or restrict hunting or shooting
from public roads or possession of a loaded firearm on road
right-of-ways in some counties. Dirt roads are not public roads and some counties have rules for certain roads in certain areas where it is authorized.

Nice deer, yeah we don't grow them huge on the coast but can get some unique looking racks.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I probably should check into that. I often lay my gun on the tailgate/tool box while I put on/take off the rest of my stuff.

I like the stripe that deer has on his head.
When I was a kid my Grandfather always told me that if your going to set something (Fishing pole/Gun etc...) on a vehicle, set it on the hood.

Unfortunately I learned why he always told me that the hard way. When I was 14 we were visiting my step fathers parents farm. I had a .22 that was borrowed from a cousin so I could do some rabbit hunting.

When I finished my hunting i set the rifle on the case on the trunk of a Plymouth Fury III... A very large old car. When I was doing other things with the other kids my mother took the car to town... We never saw that rifle again.

Since then I've set guns on the "hood" of a vehicle 100's of times... I've read threw our regulations book several times, tho these days I usually just review the new regulations... I've never seen anything about setting a gun on a vehicle here but am thinking that maybe I should dig a little deeper after reading a few of the responses in this thread.

The reason I asked my question is because I've never seen anyone set a couple of guns just hanging out out the back of a truck like that. Maybe it's just me, but it just didn't look right
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably just a Cackalacki thing, especially if you have seen some of our dog running trucks. Seen old blazers with a bass fishing swivel post seat mounted to the roof driving down dirt roads with a guy up on it with his gun between his legs. Looked like grandma in Beverly hillbilly's
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Spike

Not illegal in NC. Guns were unloaded, put in the bed of the truck for pics and to talk about the hunt. Dang you guys are anal... maybe why I don't get on here too much. To add to that, this was on an old logging road way at the back of the property where I killed him.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thatredneckrockerdude1
Not illegal in NC. Guns were unloaded, put in the bed of the truck for pics and to talk about the hunt. Dang you guys are anal... maybe why I don't get on here too much. To add to that, this was on an old logging road way at the back of the property where I killed him.
agreed. i couldnt give two S**** about the guns in the back of your truck. nice buck.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thatredneckrockerdude1
So according to you... When I see something in a pic that is something I don't see in my region, and I simply ask a question about it I'm being "anal"?

Heck, I even stated in my initial post "Hope you don't mind my asking, but it's just not something your likely to see in my region"

Seems like someone is being anal... Just doesn't seem like it's me
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
So according to you... When I see something in a pic that is something I don't see in my region, and I simply ask a question about it I'm being "anal"?

Heck, I even stated in my initial post "Hope you don't mind my asking, but it's just not something your likely to see in my region"

Seems like someone is being anal... Just doesn't seem like it's me
Then again, maybe you're wrong!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
Then again, maybe you're wrong!!
Wouldn't be the first time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.