Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do hunters do with their dead deer? >

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I utilize every edible part of the animal including all the meat, the heart, the liver and the tongue. I have always butchered my own meat which means I cut, trim, vacuum pack it and freeze it. My family hasn't bought store bought meat since 1986. A buzzard would starve off a skeleton after I'm done with it.

Frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but for a new guy to come on the forum and even ask if a hunter just takes the head and leaves the rest to rot kind of PI$$ES me off! No hunter would do that. A poacher would but a hunter would not and if this guy doesn't understand the difference then he is utterly clueless!
At first yeah but after the explanation not at all.

The OP is not a hunter and it seems they are not even interested in hunting themselves.

If ya don't know all you can do is ask. A lot of people come from a different walk of life.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can turn deer into tacos, spaghetti, vegetable soup, steaks, roasts, lasagna, dang, I'm making myself hungry...

Deer ham on the right, pork on the left...Both were smoked for our Thanksgiving meal...

Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Like others have posted, I believe that it is illegal in all states to waste game meat. I've processed my own game meat for many years and although I've never eaten the tongues, all of the other edible meat has been processed and eaten. Even the oldest animals with the largest horns/antlers that might go on my wall, the meat has gone into my freezers and onto my table.

At one camp that I was at in Africa, everything except the contents of the stomach and intestines was eaten. The tracker from my Eland hunt took the stomach home and said it would feed his family for a week.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

barnee - think the first thing you should do is read the hunting regulations for Kansas.

While I could not find I do believe leaving game shot and not harvesting the meat on purpose is a violation and one could loose their hunting priveldges and be fined if not both.
I have written the state for the actual regulation as I could not find it in the regs.

Hunters do not randomly shoot game just to leave them rot. That is not a hunter.

Also note do be careful on your advertising. I am beginning to believe you are not new to this. Advertising is "FREE" in our classified sections but will be deleted in the General Forums.

JW
Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people are that uniformed.

OP--True hunters either keep the meat for themselves or donate it to some kind of feed the hungry program. Only poachers and idiots let a game animal go to waste. It would be like buying a 100lbs of prime rib and throwing it in the trash.

Read the hunting regs for Kansas...to get familiar with the laws.

Dont feel like you are getting dog piled because there are a lot of hippies/PETA/tree huggers that come in here to cause trouble. If you have legitimate questions feel free to ask. Just say you dont know otherwise people will think you are trolling to cause trouble.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by barnee22
I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.
JW... It's good to see yer on top of things!!!

Lets ask some questions folks... Is the OP living in a dang cocoon??? He has owned land (3 farms according too one of his other posts) In Kansas for 20 years, but doesn't know what hunters do with their animals after they shoot them??? Really??? Think about it folks... Yer being played!!!

Even if he's only 20 years old himself... He's in hunting country... Good luck trying to convince me that he doesn't have a clue!!!

Even for an urban farmer it's a foolish question...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

eat it .
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
JW... It's good to see yer on top of things!!!

Lets ask some questions folks... Is the OP living in a dang cocoon??? He has owned land (3 farms according too one of his other posts) In Kansas for 20 years, but doesn't know what hunters do with their animals after they shoot them??? Really??? Think about it folks... Yer being played!!!

Even if he's only 20 years old himself... He's in hunting country... Good luck trying to convince me that he doesn't have a clue!!!

Even for an urban farmer it's a foolish question...
Yep, that's pretty much how I see it as well. I've spent a lot of time in KS and to say it is a hunter friendly state is an understatement. There is no way this guy has spent 20 years in KS and has not talked to a hunter, known one or been related to one. Go there during deer season and nearly every pickup you see has a buck in the back of it.

Plus, he is thinking of leasing the area out and has no clue as to the state's hunting regulations???? Sorry, I ain't buying this line of B.S.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I utilize every edible part of the animal including all the meat, the heart, the liver and the tongue. I have always butchered my own meat which means I cut, trim, vacuum pack it and freeze it. My family hasn't bought store bought meat since 1986. A buzzard would starve off a skeleton after I'm done with it.

Frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but for a new guy to come on the forum and even ask if a hunter just takes the head and leaves the rest to rot kind of PI$$ES me off! No hunter would do that. A poacher would but a hunter would not and if this guy doesn't understand the difference then he is utterly clueless!
Sounds like the guy is not a hunter, but someone who found himself with some land he'd like to open up to hunters. He has questions, so asked on a hunting board. Let's help him out instead of treat him like dirt or sarcastically answer the questions.

Hunters eat what they shoot. There are typically waste laws preventing just leaving it there.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Please leave the forum...
Smh..
Actually I just shoot it and go boy that was fun then I edited by JW ~ reason language and rule #1 on it..
*********** moron.
we want the meat number one ??????

Last edited by JW; 02-07-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: edited for vulgar language rule #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.