HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What do hunters do with their dead deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/389502-what-do-hunters-do-their-dead-deer.html)

barnee22 02-05-2014 08:37 PM

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

What do you all do with your deer once you kill it? Do you butcher it? Or, do you cut the head off and leave the rest for the critters?

rockport 02-05-2014 08:57 PM

Is this a real question?

barnee22 02-05-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4120772)
Is this a real question?

Yes, It's a real question.

barnee22 02-05-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4120772)
Is this a real question?

I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.

rockport 02-05-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by barnee22 (Post 4120781)
I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.

Oh I see. Hunters should never waste the animal

Wingbone 02-06-2014 02:18 AM

My wife and I eat 2-3 deer a year. That's my goal. Anything beyond that gets processed into sausage. And that's also eaten. The trophy is nice, but, for me, not a priority.

redmag 02-06-2014 03:54 AM

The first 2 are made into burger and the loin is butterflied by a processor for my wife and I. The rest are given away to several families that like and can use the meat.

Kansas1977 02-06-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by barnee22 (Post 4120781)

Not sure where in Kansas you're at? But, I'd be more than willing to help you out with your turkey problem. I have a 8 year old girl and a 5 year old boy that I'd love to take them turkey hunting. They've been deer hunting with me the past two years, but we have no turkey on our family ground. Tried some public last year with them and didn't see a thing. And to answer your question, we eat all the game we kill and love it.

theshark 02-06-2014 04:38 AM

Take it to the butcher. What I cant eat goes to Families in need....

MZS 02-06-2014 04:58 AM

In virtually every state, and I would even bet every state, the law says that you must not waste the deer. Only rotten poachers would leave the deer to waste after only cutting off the head and perhaps the hind quarters. Rest assured that any legal hunters you have leased out on your land will not let the deer go to waste.

Personally, I trim every last scrap of usable meat and bring it to a butcher to mix with beef for hamburger.