Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do hunters do with their dead deer? >

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Spike

Default What do hunters do with their dead deer?

What do you all do with your deer once you kill it? Do you butcher it? Or, do you cut the head off and leave the rest for the critters?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this a real question?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Is this a real question?
Yes, It's a real question.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Is this a real question?
I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by barnee22
I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.
Oh I see. Hunters should never waste the animal
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I eat 2-3 deer a year. That's my goal. Anything beyond that gets processed into sausage. And that's also eaten. The trophy is nice, but, for me, not a priority.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

The first 2 are made into burger and the loin is butterflied by a processor for my wife and I. The rest are given away to several families that like and can use the meat.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by barnee22
Not sure where in Kansas you're at? But, I'd be more than willing to help you out with your turkey problem. I have a 8 year old girl and a 5 year old boy that I'd love to take them turkey hunting. They've been deer hunting with me the past two years, but we have no turkey on our family ground. Tried some public last year with them and didn't see a thing. And to answer your question, we eat all the game we kill and love it.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Take it to the butcher. What I cant eat goes to Families in need....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

In virtually every state, and I would even bet every state, the law says that you must not waste the deer. Only rotten poachers would leave the deer to waste after only cutting off the head and perhaps the hind quarters. Rest assured that any legal hunters you have leased out on your land will not let the deer go to waste.

Personally, I trim every last scrap of usable meat and bring it to a butcher to mix with beef for hamburger.

Last edited by MZS; 02-06-2014 at 05:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.