Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coyote Problems?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote Problems?

Is there any way that I could run a couple packs of coyotes off my hunting property without using lethal methods and without scaring the deer?

I was out one evening on the ground with my crossbow and a coyote started howling within 30 yards right behind me. I got up and left before legal hunting hours were over.
The next afternoon I went back and sat someplace else. Coyote started howling and yipping within 100 yards in front of me so I left again.
I waited two days and went back to my original spot. This time I saw four coyotes in front of me in the field, not 20 yards away. While I was watching them I heard a couple more just to the right of me running in the leaves. And as soon as I heard those, two more started growling at each other behind me. That makes at least 8 coyotes in this pack.

About a week later I chose a totally new spot that was well away from where the pack lives, but as I was on my way out for the evening I began to hear another pack start howling across the road. It started as one lone howler, but then a couple more started howling with it. The next thing I know there are so many coyotes howling that it sounded like "white noise". It was just this roaring sound and you couldn't even make out the individual howls until they began to settle down. It sounded like there was 30 or more over there! My brother said he heard them too and we have never heard anything like that before. I mean I have heard some nice sized packs before but nothing compared to this. These aren't a problem for me though as they were a bit farther away.

But the coyotes are beginning to cross the highway and come near the edge of our yard now snooping around.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than trapping and shooting them? I really don't like the idea of shooting a canine.

Most of the deer have left the area since these coyotes took over and I have found several spots where bloodied bones still lay from victims. It's a problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Nope. start hunting them, or atleast shooting at them. They are smart and will learn. However, you need to kill one. In my experience, once they start losing pack members, they start learning that you are a predator and will not want to be around you.

ALso, don't assume that just because you move to another part of your property, that its "away from where they live" or that coyotes across the road are another pack. These things travel all over the place. a road isn't going to keep them in a certain area...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately some need to be shot or trapped. My brother has been dealing with coyotes in his yard. They get brave enough to attack his cats within close proximity of his home. This happens every couple of years and ends up with him shooting one off his back porch. Then he gets someone to set up some traps. I am going to do some hunting myself back there, they are bad this year.

NebBuckHunter is right about coyotes. My neighbors kids have all always hunted coyotes and I never have any issues with coyotes in my yard, they identify predators and adjust.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've never heard of anyone running them off. If you pester them they just learn to avoid you better and get harder to shoot. I imagine if you took up rabbit hunting and wiped out their food supply they'd move somewhere else. Beyond that they will be there to stay unless they die. That's just the nature of things.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

When they came within 20yds, one would have stayed!!! Put a few on the dirt and the problem will lighten up.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Call a trapper and tell him to have at it.

Just a question: Why are you concerned about the lethality? Coyotes are one of the most adaptable animals on the planet. As long as they have some cover, some food and some water they will continue to produce litters of little howlers. The only way to get rid of them is through the fur shed.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Check your state regulations

Every state probably has regulations on coyotes. And coyotes sure love hunting land where coyote hunting is not permitted. Those coyotes will supply all the necessary hunting, 24/7.
Don't even need a hunting permit.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-06-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

They may be a canine that you seem to have an aversion to killing, but if there are as many as you say, it will probably take mainly trapping to cut the numbers down with maybe some gunning as a supplement. Coyotes have a huge territory and there can be a lot more in an area than people realize since they are smart and hard to see most of the time. Get on it as with that many around all the animals will be fodder for them, especially newborn fawns in the Spring. Contrary to what a lot of people believe they can also take down a full grown deer under the right conditions, one of which is a lot of snow with a crust on top that they can run on and a deer breaks through. It's not pretty when they take one down either, so hopefully you'll get away from that "kill a canine" aversion you said you have.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to get a nice Rifle and start Coyote/Predator Hunting....if the Coyotes are that brave to be around You then their not afraid of You and have no Hunting Pressure.If You don't want to simply shoot the Coyotes and waste them by leaving them lay try to talk with a local Trapper and see if they would want the Coyotes or if they would trap them...the choice is yours!

Simply yelling at them or chasing the Coyotes off isn't going to work and they will simply stay a little further away from You and come in when Your not around....You need to put the fear into them or they will simply clean out all the small Game and chase off the larger Game that can protect theirself unless there are enough Coyotes to group up and kill a full size Deer....I do know that the Coyotes will search out and kill Newborn Fawns!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-06-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't like the idea of shooting a canine.
In one sense I can understand yer mind set... What you need to understand is these canines are not yer family pet... In fact if there are enough of them around, as they deplete the natural food sources they'll actually eat yer family pet.

Here's what the wild canines (wolves) did to my old dog in August 2011.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.