Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oliveschoolhunter
Sounds like a GREAT way to kill a lot bucks needlessly. Bad idea in my book.
I think you guys are picturing something a little more aggressive than what it actually is.

The chicken wire thing a buck would just rip right out of the ground and shake it off. The other methods are pretty safe.

Ive never heard of a deer being killed by an antler trap.

Still more fun to just go look for them though.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Umm... I'm not sure what ya think is going to kill a lot of bucks... You do realize that the fishing line comment was a joke?

And as Rock said, a chicken wire thing would get shredded by most bucks if the antlers aren't ready to drop.

I'm not seeing many, if any bucks being killed by such tactics.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-29-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Spike

I do walk around to find sheds on public property where there are mass properties to check out and scout. But the shed antler trap is for the very small private property that I hunt that has many bucks that wander through often. I could walk and check for sheds in probably no more than 20 minutes. I figure by feeding and using a trap it will up the odds of a buck dropping his antlers on this property. And I like the bucket and hay bales idea for traps but not a fan of using wire. If theres any chance of injuring the deer then there is no reason to risk it just for some antlers.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kev32
I do walk around to find sheds on public property where there are mass properties to check out and scout. But the shed antler trap is for the very small private property that I hunt that has many bucks that wander through often. I could walk and check for sheds in probably no more than 20 minutes. I figure by feeding and using a trap it will up the odds of a buck dropping his antlers on this property. And I like the bucket and hay bales idea for traps but not a fan of using wire. If theres any chance of injuring the deer then there is no reason to risk it just for some antlers.
Makes sense. If I were going to set one up I'd try the bungee method.

Set a few post and use bungees as the "fence"

Last edited by rockport; 12-29-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'm guessing that all depends on how the wire is put up. I seen quite a few bucks tangled up dead in a fence. To each their own brothers but I'm just glad this practice isn't used on my farm!!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing that all depends on how the wire is put up. I seen quite a few bucks tangled up dead in a fence. To each their own brothers but I'm just glad this practice isn't used on my farm!!
By their horns?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah rock believe it or not brother. Seen two just this year alone.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe I took it wrong guys if I did my bad. Just seen a lot killed with wire having a hand in it thats all.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I took it wrong guys if I did my bad. Just seen a lot killed with wire having a hand in it thats all.
Ive seen quite a few with legs caught in fences, Never horns. I believe you though. The chicken wire I'm picturing is something a deer could walk away with.(which still wouldn't be good)

Something to think about I guess. Ive never heard of a deer being killed by an antler trap but that don't mean its never happened.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Geeze, you guys are touchy. Antler traps have been used for years. Use string if you are concerned. I don't ever remember seeing a story where an antler trap killed a deer. By December most mature bucks are getting close to losing them. Even a little tussle with some chicken wire will pull them off if they got stuck.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.