Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

People have actually been doing it for years. My uncle has a feeder behind his house in WI for watching purposes, and after the season he puts a 2x4 up on each side. So when the buck is done feeding he'll pull his head up and knock it against the 2x4. If they’re ready to come off they do. There’s more than enough clearance for the buck to take his head and antlers out. He just took advantage of the bucks lifting their heads when their done eating.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
1. You may want to look at that "contraption" again.

2. No if you want to stop something the onus is on you to make a case.
***Okay Murby, you win, LOL!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Okay Murby, you win, LOL!
Whatever that means.

Just how you deal with being wrong I guess?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Whatever that means.

Just how you deal with being wrong I guess?

***No, but that's another typical response of his and it's just how I'm going to deal with you now because you're no more right than I am wrong on that contraption I was specifically talking about!!! It would seem that most of what I post is now contrary to your beliefs and that's fine, but maybe get over it as it seems it's just to argue like his previous posts! The 2x4 deal mentioned above sounds fine because there is absolutely no chance at all, nada, zilch, zippo that a buck will get caught by doing that.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

***No, but that's another typical response of his and it's just how I'm going to deal with you now because you're no more right than I am wrong on that contraption I was specifically talking about!!! It would seem that most of what I post is now contrary to your beliefs and that's fine, but maybe get over it as it seems it's just to argue like his previous posts! The 2x4 deal mentioned above sounds fine because there is absolutely no chance at all, nada, zilch, zippo that a buck will get caught by doing that.
What you posted about that contraption was 100% wrong not contrary to my beliefs and that is a fact. All I said about it was "You may want to look at that "contraption" again."

You need to take your own advice as it seems anything someone post that is contrary to your beliefs is "lazy" "taking hunting down the wrong path" etc. It seems you can dish it out but you cant take it. You tell people how wrong they are constantly. Tell you your wrong (even when its a fact) and it gets personal immediately.

Nobody needs to prove anything to you before they do something that is legal.

I know you think a lot of people agree with you but the truth is you have a few buddies that stick up for you and Ive gotten a LOT of private messages from members telling me they think exactly the same as I do about your attitude.

You have got to be the most arrogant person Ive ever talked to.

Just read this thread.

Your telling people they are wrong,lazy,and ruining hunting with 0 factual information to back it up.

I point out your wrong as a matter of fact and your all bent out of shape.

Its ridiculous and the people defending it should be ashamed because they know better.

Last edited by rockport; 12-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

man...topgun is just a moron. guarantee the dude hunts alone. i can't imagine the guy having an actual friend/hunting buddy. sad, really.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are not reading what I'm saying. I said the contraption looks like it could do what I said and several other members have said the same thing. You have said it won't and that I'm wrong when you have no basis to do so. As was said in the other thread, it takes TWO people to argue, so don't lay this all on me! Those were my opinions on this stuff and if yours are different, so be it. As far as this other member that has called me a moron, you might want to look at site rules and back off. In fact, if you had been with me and my friends this year in five different states you'd have had a ton of fun and been involved in the taking of a Bighorn sheep, 4 elk, 5 antelope, 3 mulies and a couple dozen pheasants. That is far from hunting by myself and you don't know me from a can of paint, so your couple posts calling me names, etc. is not justified. It's amazing that just a cuple statements that I made that were also made by several other members is now piled on me again. Enough please!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are not reading what I'm saying. I said the contraption looks like it could do what I said and several other members have said the same thing. You have said it won't and that I'm wrong when you have no basis to do so. As was said in the other thread, it takes TWO people to argue, so don't lay this all on me! Those were my opinions on this stuff and if yours are different, so be it. As far as this other member that has called me a moron, you might want to look at site rules and back off. In fact, if you had been with me and my friends this year in five different states you'd have had a ton of fun and been involved in the taking of a Bighorn sheep, 4 elk, 5 antelope, 3 mulies and a couple dozen pheasants. That is far from hunting by myself and you don't know me from a can of paint, so your couple posts calling me names, etc. is not justified. It's amazing that just a cuple statements that I made that were also made by several other members is now piled on me again. Enough please!
You said "that solid iron contraption" That is not at all what it is. Then you went on to call me "murby" when I pointed that out. I can only assume that is meant to be an insult.

Other members have not said the same thing as you at all.

We were having a reasonable conversation Some people were concerned about it killing deer and some weren't....... You know......big boy talk.

Then you ran in a ruined yet another thread with your usual....calling people lazy,complaining about the contraption you clearly didn't even take the time to read about and the oh so famous ruining hunting speech.

Nobody did any of that stuff besides you....nobody.

I'm even very open to the idea that it could be dangerous. However I'm going to need more than just your guess.

It may take 2 to argue but it only takes one to tell people they are lazy and ruining hunting because they don't agree with your unwarranted opinions.

Last edited by rockport; 12-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I've had a question nagging at me since I watched the video of that trap. I doubt anyone will be able to answer it, but who knows?

When that antler was pulled off that deer it took off in a big hurry.

So was the deer startled? Or if a rack is close to, but not quite ready to drop does it actually hurt the deer to pull it off prematurely? Kinda like accidentally tearing off a scab?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lunkerdog---Looking for naturally shed antlers is one thing, but this is another and stretches that. Mother Nature causes a bucks testosterone level to gradually decrease to the point where the pedicel no longer supports the antler and it falls off. Doing what is suggested is really contrary to what nature intends, but it probably isn't going to do any real harm if the design of the contraption doesn't leave a chance that a buck that's not ready to drop gets caught in it. The contraption shown in the link that's anchored to a tree looked like the latter is possible. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I, and others, have stated that using methods that may entrap an animal that isn't ready to drop shouldn't be used. It is so bad now with people wanting to find sheds that some western states have had to ban people from the wintering grounds because they were actually running animals around trying to get the antlers to drop off and it really stresses them in a vulnerable time when they need to be resting to make it through the winter. I can't rememebr which state it is, but in one a test actually has to be passed and a shed antler license also obtained to lessen what I mentioned.

Guys, I've taken this to PMs as this has become absolutely ridiculous and off track by a previous poster when what he has stated is not true. I called the thing a contraption for lack of a better term and he knows nothing more about it looking at the picture than I do, but to listen to him it's his invention! This is the same crappola he pulled a few days ago with Skinnner wanting to argue about the words "mistake" compared to "accident" when it was not necessary for the thread, just like his posts attacking me here are not necessary. Forums are going to have differing opinions on things and it would be nice if everyone would understand that and not get their panties in a wad!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.