Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take >

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am an amazing bench shooter and a crappy game shooter. Always heart/lungs for me. Even though I can group under MOA with all my rifles. When a buck is in front of me, everything goes out the window.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
She will hit a dime at 50 yards...

"She" is a hottie...
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recall every seeing a live deer with a head wound but I'm in a shotgun state so maybe that is why. A 12 gauge slug anywhere in the head is probably tough to survive.

Ive never shot a deer in the head myself.

I would also agree that a lot of gun shot wounds are no where near where they were aimed.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
"She" is a hottie...
and collecting mistletoe, get in line behind me!

guys if a head shots works for you, go for it, but in my hunting career I have noticed how much bloodier the clean up of head shot deer are. when the bullet hits the CNS all systems shut down now, giving us the highly reveled "DRT" shot, the heart stops immediately, all the blood in the body stays where it is. If you clean your deer yourself you will see what I'm talking about if you headshot a couple then shoot a couple in the lungs, where they die from loss of blood.
I prefer them lungshot.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 12-21-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

I clearly up all my dear myself. Never noticed more blood on a head shot staying in the deer doring skinning.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Always heart/lungs for me. D
Another prudent hunter!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. Sounds to me like he knows his abilities. I don't need advice from someone that says I take risky shots when shooting at the head of a deer because it might move, and then tells me he takes 300 yard shots. I guess the deer won't move at 300 yards. Any shot taken at a wild animal is a risk, even reasonable shots. A whole lot of attitudes about ethical and fair have really changed over the years. I blame it on the "Experts". I have shot deer with a Savage .22 HiPower and a .223. That is just about the end of the world with some people, right up there with head shots. I have never hit and lost a deer with either caliber. I thoroughly check a miss and I don't care if I am using my .358 WIN. I had a bad experience with Buckshot once and I will never use it again, but if you do well with it, who am I to tell you it is unethical? If headshots are not for you, so be it, but don't say others are unethical hunters because of your limitations.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I agree. Sounds to me like he knows his abilities. I don't need advice from someone that says I take risky shots when shooting at the head of a deer because it might move, and then tells me he takes 300 yard shots. I guess the deer won't move at 300 yards. Any shot taken at a wild animal is a risk, even reasonable shots. A whole lot of attitudes about ethical and fair have really changed over the years. I blame it on the "Experts". I have shot deer with a Savage .22 HiPower and a .223. That is just about the end of the world with some people, right up there with head shots. I have never hit and lost a deer with either caliber. I thoroughly check a miss and I don't care if I am using my .358 WIN. I had a bad experience with Buckshot once and I will never use it again, but if you do well with it, who am I to tell you it is unethical? If headshots are not for you, so be it, but don't say others are unethical hunters because of your limitations.

***Not trying to change you at all since it's obvious with your pompous retorts to numerous members that you don't even know that no logical explanation is being absorbed. FYI, as I stated before, I've only been on one "paid" guided hunt in 60 years and everything else, including hunting those five states this year, were all done DIY on public land. Your statement concluding I go on hunts that I "pay" for is completely false and I have no idea why that would come into play anyway regarding this head shot discussion! The only reason my hunts were mentioned was to show that I have more than a few years of experience under my belt and am not just starting out in the sport. The few deer that I've shot at 200+ yards were out in Wyoming where I couldn't get any closer due to the open terrain and they were shot through the big lung area from a tripod that's as sturdy as shooting at the range on a bench. Your continued BS about people making a statement contrary to yours because of their "limitations" is a crock. A deer moving slightly is still going to be dead even if the shot is off 6" when aiming for that large vital body area and that's far different from aiming at the small head/brain area that is constantly moving. As you can see from the one target I posted, I can hold my own on paper and I have no doubt that I could do the same on a head shot IF I knew that it wasn't going to move. It's as simple as that and the only reason I'm against that high risk shot when compared to the large vital lung area that will still be punched if an animal moves a little at the shot. I hope anyone that is just starting in the sport or even experienced persons will think about what's being said by myself and others that agree with me. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and can experience the great outdoors like I was again priviledged to this year!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-22-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murby
"She" is a hottie...
***On this one we can definitely agree!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

I aim for the heart lung area. I have often thought about head shots and will probably take one if the shot presented is perfect, deer feeding at 50 yards or less. I know of a couple guys that have attempted head shots, most have missed completely, 1 bragged of seeing the animals jaw swinging as it ran off. Our conversation wasn't good when I heard the story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.