Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take >

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thx Guys for the discussion and info. We have a guy on our lease that prefers to take head shots. I've listened but not got into the "head shot" discussions he's had with the other members.

I've never taken a head shot as I've never had any problems killing deer with other shots. So just stayed out of these discussions. But, I did like reading what y'all had to say.

I did see one time how you could be tempted to take one. Had a large doe that was standing behind a tree stump looking over a bush. She was back a ways into the woods, ears up, looking uneasy. At less than 100 yds, I could have easily taken a head shot but found her behaivior so interesting I decided to just watch. She was completely motionless except for a quick head turn in a blue moon. I figured I'd been scented and was about to be busted. So I stayed as still and motionless as I could - This when on for 40 mins! I've never been so tested to keep still ever!!!!

Watching her I realized she wasn't focusing in on me, her head seemed to be more turn and ears focused down the path behind me to my left. So turned and shot my biggest bobcat - Biggest by far!

Last edited by RaySendero; 12-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Head shots? No Problem

I make heads all the time and am quite confident in my ability to do so. Is it for everyone? Is it wrong? Is it ethical? As long as it's in the confines of the law it's a personal decision one must make. These are going to be ground totally into hamburger later today after I get off the computer.

Here is a video I made showing some I made 2 days ago.
**warning** It's not graphic but instant death is involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvt1...YA1dB2DbG_QUEw
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't really need that video to see that a deer dies when shot in the head and with a surpressed rifle to boot! I'm really impressed (NOT)---Thanks!!!

I probably should have let this one alone, but the devil made me do it

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-23-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doubleA
I make heads all the time and am quite confident in my ability to do so. Is it for everyone? Is it wrong? Is it ethical? As long as it's in the confines of the law it's a personal decision one must make. These are going to be ground totally into hamburger later today after I get off the computer.

Here is a video I made showing some I made 2 days ago.
**warning** It's not graphic but instant death is involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvt1...YA1dB2DbG_QUEw
Hey I liked those videos. Your daughter took a very nice buck! Thanks for posting helps to let everyone see the head shot is not the demon shot some people make it out to be. For the benefit of those reading this thread may I ask why you chose head shots when you clearly had good broadside shots available?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Spike

The head is the most mobile part of the animal and subject to messing up your shot. Ill take the better shot at the body if I can take it.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fishhound
The head is the most mobile part of the animal and subject to messing up your shot. Ill take the better shot at the body if I can take it.
Indeed.
So would I.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Hey I liked those videos. Your daughter took a very nice buck! Thanks for posting helps to let everyone see the head shot is not the demon shot some people make it out to be. For the benefit of those reading this thread may I ask why you chose head shots when you clearly had good broadside shots available?
Sure, in my case it's shooting subsonics. This is a whole different world compared to using hyper/high velocity loads in normal chamberings. I am using "heavy for caliber" bullets, examples are 220,225 and 240 match bullets at low velocities. These bullets retain their velocity better than lighter/faster ones and offer good energy due to the weight. The downside is that these don't have any expansion what so ever. With that I choose only brain shots as I don't want to track. I suppose you could choose to take a heart or lung shot with them but I am certain that trailing will be necessary as the bullet will pencil and have a small wound channel.

Truth be told what I do with the blackout is similar to using a .22 rimfire but with more energy. It does take discipline and patients along with precision shooting on my part but I am very confident in those abilities. My shots are kept to 100 yards or less with subs as the distance is critical. Like I mentioned before it's not for everybody.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doubleA
Sure, in my case it's shooting subsonics. This is a whole different world compared to using hyper/high velocity loads in normal chamberings. I am using "heavy for caliber" bullets, examples are 220,225 and 240 match bullets at low velocities. These bullets retain their velocity better than lighter/faster ones and offer good energy due to the weight. The downside is that these don't have any expansion what so ever. With that I choose only brain shots as I don't want to track. I suppose you could choose to take a heart or lung shot with them but I am certain that trailing will be necessary as the bullet will pencil and have a small wound channel.

Truth be told what I do with the blackout is similar to using a .22 rimfire but with more energy. It does take discipline and patients along with precision shooting on my part but I am very confident in those abilities. My shots are kept to 100 yards or less with subs as the distance is critical. Like I mentioned before it's not for everybody.
Excellent! Thank you so much for your reply. I understand Perfectly! Have a Great Holiday Season!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kswild
Yes I have! Squirrel & Rabbit! BTW that's the only way I shoot them too. In the Head!
...man that is why so many squirrels are running around with no jaws...

sorry couldn't resist but seriously practicing on squirrels is a great way to build practical shooting skills. After you hit a few squirrels in the head at fifty yards shooting a deers head seems like a huge target, considering a squirrels head is about the size of a deers eye.