Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why Mount a Deer Head?

Old 10-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why Mount a Deer Head?

I believe Miller Man hit it on the head
Old 10-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Next time you try to explain it use bowling trophies or diplomas as a reference point of comparison . Why do folks hang their college degree on the wall ? Because they' re proud of their achievement .
Old 10-05-2003, 09:26 AM

To me a mounted animal lives on forever.
To this quote I will add; In the heart of the hunter.
It is a thing of respect for the animal and a memory of the hunt.

Old 10-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ever see a kid bring home his first little T-Ball trophy, or bring home a certificate from school for being successful. or a golfer win the Gold Jacket in a golf tournament, To me its about all the same, it is something we love and are proud of and our mounts are our trophies and cerificates and jackets. Our mounts is away of remembering a hunt, and that we was able to be successful in our sport and a way we can re-live and share that hunt with others everytime we see it.

The next " non hunter" or " anti" that questions your reason for a mount, just tell them that you could have tossed it in the junk pile or left if for the buzzards and coyotes to eat but you thought it best to perserve the great animal and its memories for years to come instead of trashing it.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never keep heads or fish or anything like that. I am an avid hunter but not a trophy hunter in any way. I hunt for the meat and often take pictures of my kids first things. I have many great memories of hunting but need no heads or horns to spur those memories. I sometimes keep a horn or two if the are suitable for knife handles or something else useful . Iv' e No problem with people who must always kill a buck or keep thier souveneers.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:40 PM

I thought they were to scare the kids....
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 AM

My first and only head mount was mounted in 1992 and is my best buck to date.
For me this deer was the ultimate challenge. I hunted him for two years and when I finally shot him, (5 minutes before the end of legal shooting time), he went through the thickest most impenetrable tangle youve ever seen and one hundred yards later he landed in a beaver pond. We tracked him on our hands and knees and lost blood about 30 ft. from the pond. I was just about to give up when I shined the light on the edge of the pond and saw half an antler sticking out.
I knew right then I was going to mount this deer. Not only out of respect for the hunt but because it was a truly handsome looking deer. I often find myself sitting there looking at that deer that I shot 11 years ago and daydreaming of that special hunt.