Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Getting to a stand late or not at all? >

Getting to a stand late or not at all?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting to a stand late or not at all?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

It absolutely is worth it. Deer may be more active at dawn than most (or any other) time of day.

But I've shot a bunch of 'em from a stand well after dawn - - and seen a great deal more.

If you can't get out there before daybreak, don't worry about it. Get in there and hunt.

As I've aged, I've even slept in on purpose (heresy before I reached a certain age) and meandered out to my stand later...sometimes mid-day, sometimes later.

I've shot PLENTY of deer doing that.

It's a waste of time NOT to get in the stand after daybreak, especially if you've got all day thereafter.

Just MHO

YMMV
Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Best bet is to get out before first light. I'm in the stand 20 minutes before first light and I've jumped numerous deer going into my stand late.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting big bruisers during the rut, then this strategy is almost better. Reason being is the when the big bucks are finally cruising during the day time, they almost always do so between 10 and 3.

My logic behind this is the big guys are up all night seeking and chasing. Come daybreak they rest up a little and then get back up on their feet to work it again.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 till 2 hunts work during the full moon,I've shot deer at 11am (after getting there early lol).
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I have killed some nice bucks after 10AM, I hate the thoughts of not being on stand until after daylight. However, the last couple years my wife's job has required her to come in earlier and I have to get my son to school. I usually can't make it to my stand until 9AM or a little later. Looks like she will be working this schedule from now on, so I better get used to it.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

I do not have the luxury to pick and choose when I hunt. I have work, clients, family, etc... Therefore, I hunt when I can, regardless of wind, moon, light, time, weather, etc... Do I pay attention to all of these things, YES! However, that is not going to keep me out of the woods on the few days a year I get to hunt. The deer are in the woods 365 days a year, regardless of the above factors.

The only thing I do different if I am going to my stand and it is light out is stalk your stand. Walk slowly the entire way and still hunt. Many people will see deer on the way in and get a shot. You are hunting when you leave your house, cabin or truck, so hunt like it.

Remember to enjoy the woods. I would rather be in the woods with a less than perfect wind and maybe light out, then sitting at work or watching TV.