HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Getting to a stand late or not at all? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387301-getting-stand-late-not-all.html)

cody0707 11-19-2013 11:13 AM

Getting to a stand late or not at all?

I most mornings I will not be able to climb up into a stand until about 8:30am ~ 9:00am. I would be able to hunt all day until about 4:00pm, maybe later on some days.

Is it worth climbing up into a stand after daybreak?

iayotehunter 11-19-2013 11:17 AM

Totally worth it especially during the rut. Just be careful on your way in. Can;t kill them sitting on the couch

Freerorbust 11-19-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by iayotehunter (Post 4099679)
Totally worth it especially during the rut. Just be careful on your way in. Can;t kill them sitting on the couch

Well that's a false statement, my big blind has a couch in it lol :biggrin:

early in 11-19-2013 12:05 PM

Yep, a late start is better than no start. But, when I do morning hunts, which is only during the Rut, I HAVE to be in my stand an hour before first light. It's just the way I hunt. :s4:

nchawkeye 11-19-2013 12:08 PM

Yep, bucks in rut move all day...Deer also move during the day around a full moon...

Learn to hunt where they are......

d80hunter 11-19-2013 12:21 PM

I have killed deer going to my stand in the late morning. I have also seen deer within minutes of getting in my stand. If you are stealthy anything can happen at anytime. Deer are unpredictable and that is the fun part.

If hunting deer was as easy as going out during an exact time at an exact spot and you kill a deer then hunting wouldn't be fun and deer would be extinct.

Wilcam47 11-19-2013 01:03 PM

deer can come in at any time...its just a matter of being there when they do...just hope you don't run them off when you come in. I like being in 1 before light and 2-3hours before dark...Ive had the best luck in the evenings.

NEhomer 11-19-2013 03:04 PM

If hunting deer was as easy as going out during an exact time at an exact spot and you kill a deer then hunting wouldn't be fun...

Now hold on d80. If I knew an eight pointer would be at my stand at 8a.m. deer hunting would still be fun~

...and deer would be extinct.

Well then there's that!

kenified06 11-19-2013 04:02 PM

A always go in way before dawn and stay until after dark but I swear 80 percent of the bucks Ive killed during the rut was between 9am and 1pm thats when im hunting in the woods. Now in my field shack things are pretty dead from 8 am till 3 pm but I do see occasional deer coming through.

ihookem1 11-19-2013 04:23 PM

We never leave the cabin till it's light outside. Several reason for this. We almost never see deer till a good hr after opening, 2 hrs is best. We are not sure why but we think it has to do with timber wolves. It was not like that before the wolves moved in 20 yrs ago. Trail cams prove they don't move till at least an hr after opening. Also, we are so far back in the woods to avoid baiters that it gets confusing cause we don't use any markers. Also, we are quieter going through the woods when it's light out. I also noticed when I get out before light, I am cold by sun up later oin the season.