Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Black lab attacks a deer

Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, that area is chock full of deer. The rut is kicking in and some of the young bucks are on their feet moving around seeking and chasing. People run their dogs off leash there all the time. Not to say that is appropriate.

The dogs didn't hurt that deer. Heck, the lab is lucky it didn't get an eye gouged out.

Btw, slightly off topic, this area where this was filmed holds some of the biggest bucks you ever seen. They have been protected for years until they paid some snipers to come in and clean house last year. Too bad they didn't open it up to bowhunters and save a boatload of taxpayer's money. No, that would make too much sense.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I love how the one reporter states that the video is quite "graphic". Everyone is so out of touch with nature that they dont know the difference between an attack or not. The dogs owner has no control over her animal and treats the buck like its just another dog instead of the dangerous animal it can be.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone with any brains would know that deers leg was injured before that dog came along... We have a lab mix mutt that is a hell of a runner, he catches quite a few snowshoe hares... He doesn't stand a chance of catching a healthy deer. And yes, he does chase them when he see's them, but the chase doesn't last long, he's always back in less than a minute.

Did you know you can tell what a dog is thinking by which side it wags it tail? Yup.. If a dogs tail is wagging mostly left, its in danger/protect/fear mode.. wags mostly to the right its playful/fun/happy....
I caught a story about a study on dog behavior the other day that showed how dogs react to that... Right down to their increased heart rate. I wondered who was funding it.

They would also faint if they saw how a wolf operates.
Yup, they may even lose their lunch... This is how wolves operated on my 100lb dog

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There you have it. You said anyone with brains. Plenty of people out there have never owned dogs and plenty more who will think the dog did actually do this.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

people make me sick...it a DEER a dog is going to chase it! The stupid owner needed to put down her coffee and leash her dog! Yeah sure the deer was injured...but its one of thousands injured or killed by cars or predators, problem is the over abundance of deer in MD/DC...these Eco terrorist hipster yuppies think/act this is the last deer on the planet they want to solve the problem? DO MORE HUNTING!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was so dumb that I didn't want to post anything about it. But, if I didn't, no one would know how dumb I thought it was. This was so dumb.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

This thread is ironic as hell! Just last evening I was sitting in my stand, which is on State Land (dogs must be leashed), and around 4:00PM some lady comes strolling through with her 2 black labs, unleashed! I was going to ignore it, but I see it TOO OFTEN, so I said "those dogs are supposed to be on a leash, but I guess you already know that". She had the leashes over her shoulders. She looked up at me and said "you're right". She then turned around and left the way she came, with the dogs unleashed!

An unleashed dog (where they are supposed to be leashed) is the hight of irresponsibility! People are basically lazy, so it's much "easier" to just let a dog run loose as it pleases. And that video is a good example of this. If that dog were leashed we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Dang guy was you hunting on the walking trail? Seems to me if you were hunting you might get away from the public just a little. That video is a good example on how stupid people really are when it comes to a deer and dog.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, I was hunting near a little used trail about 1/2 mile from the parking area, but that has little to do with somebody letting their dogs run as they please, when they should be leashed. It's very basic, or it should be.