Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My First Kill (sort of)

Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

You said that you cracked open a beer. You didn't say anything about drinking it. HA!HA!HA!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

When will we learn to ignore trolls and not encourage more of the same by responding to their bait posts?

I count myself as part of the "we" I refer to.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Spike

I am not advocating drinking while hunting. There really is no justification. Have I been playing the role of devil's advocate? Frankly, yes. What this really came down to to me was tiring of what comes across as self-righteous posts by some. Some seem to really enjoy being whistle blowers and pointing out every rule and regulation. That in itself is not a bad thing, but i didnt join this site to read people sprinting to judge other posters. The guy (whether he was legitimite or not - I have my doubts) was just sharing a light-hearted account of a memorable hunt. Thats all i got from it. Then folks started dissecting things and entirely missed the point of the story. A good friend of mine is a warden that approached his job the similar to how i believe some have gone about posts - by needling and pointing out every single rule infraction he could. Of his own admission, he quickly learned that this approach can actually do more harm than good for hunting, and he changed his approach a bit. By trying to work with some people instead of constantly needling them, he became much more effective at his job. The point I'm trying to make is that we don't need to constantly seek out others to point fingers at.

Growing up in northern wisconsin and the u.p., you come to understand the 9 or 14 day seasons as guy's vacations. Drinking a beer in the stand is very common. There is no justification for it, but he was probably doing the same thing that the other 20 hunters in his camp were doing. I no longer rifle hunt much simply because I no longer enjoy this atmosphere a whole lot. Call it -dare i say -Maturing Hunting is about a lot of things to me, but getting drunk for a week isnt one of them. Having said that, I can appreciate that others have different views than me. This guy in the OP didnt say he got blind drunk in the stand, he said he cracked a beer. But we made it a federal case. So, did i take it upon myself to point out some hypocricies and challenge some view points - yeah i did.

I'm sure I've stirred up a hornets nest with this post, but believe me, that wasn't my intention. I can only imagine the responses I'll get

I guess my whole point is, let's lighten up a bit eh guys
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

When the OP was asked if he was serious, the response was yes and that the beer would stay in the story. You then gave him a LOL attaboy post!!! That convinced me, along with reading your chastizement made to me and Psylocide, that we have a different mindset. It goes right along with previous posts you've made in the same vein on other threads regarding people posting about violations. Instead of telling violators to clean up their act, you seem to be more into giving others problems that want to keep a hunting website clean of such garbage. Your whole "lighten up" theory might be fine if this wasn't a serious hunting Forum where certain rules, along with some common sense on what a person should or shouldn't post was followed.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-10-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, to the OP, if you truely are a Veteran, Thank You.
As an Illinois Hunter Safety Instructor, I have to agree that posting such a thing as "Popping a beer" while in the stand is bad enough, but with others in the stand at same time, might as well have said that you were drinking to get better aiming qualities. By the grace of god, you were able to find the deer and not had to shoot it again while walking around in the timber with others in tow with a loaded firearm(s) while under the influence or intoxicated.
As far as TopGun 3006 and Psylocide go, they are correct with their intentions and their direction to the forum rules that we EACH have to adhere to.
To North22. It is my opinoin that you gave this guy a grgeen light "Atta Boy" to continue to do as he did/does. I as well have hunted the north as well in both some very nice camps as well some just thrown up tent camps. Yes, we did endeavor some adult beverages. AFTER the weapons, firearms as well as the knives, were put away and the hunt was over except over the campfire. You stated that we made it a Federal case. Do you realize that if he was on Federal land that it could and would be a federal violation?
The anti's make up enough against us hunters without us giving them more to use to fuel their campaign to stop our beloved sport.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Really!!?? You'd rather have them "talking against such practices" to their buddy's and those that haven't made up their mind yet. Seriously ??!!
Yea really.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Spike

The "good for you" comment was about the OP not backing down. I found that humorous.

I've said what I need to say. Last post for me on this thread.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by North22
The "good for you" comment was about the OP not backing down. I found that humorous.

I've said what I need to say. Last post for me on this thread.
***Good, since we all know what that first post and all the ones following it meant!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I find it funny that people are arguing about a post and the original poster has checked out lol
Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by botechboy
I find it funny that people are arguing about a post and the original poster has checked out lol
***We're not debating with the OP, but rather the contents of what was in the post is what is being disagreed with. IMHO he was a troll and if he doesn't come back somewhere on the forums I would say that psot was only put on here to stir up trouble and make hunters look bad if some would agree with him.