Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot >

Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Spike

Right after the shot replsay the shot in your mind- what did you see when you shot (sight picture), where did you see the bullet or arrow strike (good hit or not), what was the animals reponse, and then where did it go etc.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gremlin1104
Right after the shot replsay the shot in your mind- what did you see when you shot (sight picture), where did you see the bullet or arrow strike (good hit or not), what was the animals reponse, and then where did it go etc.
Good advice! And to do this, you have to follow through on your bow shot, watching the arrow hit, and then watching and listening in those few seconds afterwards. This can make short work of tracking.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Savage_99
NG,

Part of that link reads:
"Wait 30 mins

Particularly if you have lots of daylight left, itís best to not get out of your stand right now. Wait thirty minutes. Why? Because at this point, youíve shot the deer, itís run off, and frankly, it doesnít know what just happened. The deer doesnít know youíre even there. If you get down immediately, in his current state of alarm, he will hear you, his adrenaline will kick in, and heíll run off even further.

Wait 30 minutes. Stay very quiet. This gives the deer a chance to quickly find a spot to lay down, and not run off even further."

I think that's' 100% wrong!

The hunter should go after the deer right away and finish it off so it won't escape and most of all won't suffer any longer.
Disagree with this statement gun or bow it is always best to give the animal plenty of time. Your statements come from inexperience. Give yourself a few more years and deer and you will realize why most seasoned hunters follow this guideline
Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Spike

Default Waiting is right

Originally Posted by bghunter777
Disagree with this statement gun or bow it is always best to give the animal plenty of time. Your statements come from inexperience. Give yourself a few more years and deer and you will realize why most seasoned hunters follow this guideline
Thanks for agreeing with me. In fact, by waiting the 30 mins, you are doing a better job not letting the animal suffer. If you pursue immediately, a spike of adrenaline can occur and they run off further, instead of just sitting down quietly.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So true,it's amazing how tough deer are.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Spike

I also agree with waiting 30 minutes. If you ever trail a deer too soon and jump it you will see why. I learned this the hard way on the 3rd deer I ever shot. I jumped it and a 150 yard blood trail became a 400 yard hard to follow trail. I got the deer but it was difficult. This was a single lung hit.