Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot >

Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Whitetail hunting: Tips for after the shot

Thought people could add their tips for after taking the shot:
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Goods tips, but tend to be hard to remember with adrenaline pounding in your ears.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just have 3 simple tips.

1. Don't shoot unless you are convinced you are going to harvest the animal.

2. When it drops, go to the animal, tag it, say your prayer and gut it.

3. Get the meat cooling.

Step 4 is optional. Pop a cold one.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another tip:when blood trailing use toilet paper to mark the blood.It's biodegradable and if it's dark it can show you the trail back.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

NG,

Part of that link reads:
"Wait 30 mins

Particularly if you have lots of daylight left, it’s best to not get out of your stand right now. Wait thirty minutes. Why? Because at this point, you’ve shot the deer, it’s run off, and frankly, it doesn’t know what just happened. The deer doesn’t know you’re even there. If you get down immediately, in his current state of alarm, he will hear you, his adrenaline will kick in, and he’ll run off even further.

Wait 30 minutes. Stay very quiet. This gives the deer a chance to quickly find a spot to lay down, and not run off even further."

I think that's' 100% wrong!

The hunter should go after the deer right away and finish it off so it won't escape and most of all won't suffer any longer.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
NG,

Part of that link reads:
"Wait 30 mins

Particularly if you have lots of daylight left, it’s best to not get out of your stand right now. Wait thirty minutes. Why? Because at this point, you’ve shot the deer, it’s run off, and frankly, it doesn’t know what just happened. The deer doesn’t know you’re even there. If you get down immediately, in his current state of alarm, he will hear you, his adrenaline will kick in, and he’ll run off even further.

Wait 30 minutes. Stay very quiet. This gives the deer a chance to quickly find a spot to lay down, and not run off even further."

I think that's' 100% wrong!

The hunter should go after the deer right away and finish it off so it won't escape and most of all won't suffer any longer.
Gun hunting maybe, if you see the deer on the ground thrashing around - a shot to the head or neck. I have done this.

Bow hunting = NEVER. With a bow, 30 minutes is the minimum. Otherwise you can push a deer 1/2 mile away. And even after 30 minutes, if there is no trail and you think it might be a gut shot, back off and wait til morning.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Another tip:when blood trailing use toilet paper to mark the blood.It's biodegradable and if it's dark it can show you the trail back.
Great tip! Never thought of this. I have used plastic marking tape, but the TP would be a lot easier and cheaper with no need to pick up (at least on my own land).
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Gun hunting maybe, if you see the deer on the ground thrashing around - a shot to the head or neck. I have done this.

Bow hunting = NEVER. With a bow, 30 minutes is the minimum. Otherwise you can push a deer 1/2 mile away. And even after 30 minutes, if there is no trail and you think it might be a gut shot, back off and wait til morning.
exactly...half a mile is nothing for a wounded deer they can go a lot further!! If you are in a climbing tree stand its also best to wait the 30 minutes to calm down so you don't hurt yourself on the way down!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always tried to wait 30 minutes,I make it for about 15.LOL
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

30 min if you feel good about the shot. If you are not positive on hit? 1 hour min.

Listen close as he runs off. Mark where you last heard him.

As he runs off watch where his feet hit the ground, will help mark actual path traveled better than watching deer itself.

Last edited by buckwild41; 05-16-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.