Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety rope in weather

Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default safety rope in weather

I am setting up a treestand this spring and want to put everything out including safety rope, so it will be undisturbed all summer and deer get used to it. But I am thinking bthat the weather may comprimise safety rope. What does everyone think? All opinions welcomed.

Thanks
croc2116
Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your going to be using it a lot I'd say leave it up.....If the rope is going to be exposed to bad weather all Summer and not used much I would take it down and put it up closer to Hunting Season!Im not sure on the life expectantcy of the safety ropes but weather can be hard on anything left outside,You can always spray it down with scent-killer closer to hunting season and be fine!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

By us, the red squirrels would chew through the rope - it is what they do, for no apparent reason. Also, the weather will take its toll.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MZS
By us, the red squirrels would chew through the rope - it is what they do, for no apparent reason. Also, the weather will take its toll.
Same here. I cant leave anything out that is fabric or soft. Squirrels chewed my seat cushions and the rope I use for hauling up my bow.

If you decide to leave it out you should do a thorough inspection every time you use it.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You mean to say...

you picked out one place to hunt, and only one place, in the whole state of Maine.
Some people's abilities far exceed mine. I never got that thing down to leaving stuff in one place.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

Valentine I hunted area last year and saw deer just out of range so i moved stand and have been scouting area all year. I have 3 other spots its just i know deer are in this area.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Spike

I've hung on a lot of rope for high angle rescue and rock climbing, and I personally wouldn't bet my life on rope that's been out for any period of time.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What came first

Was it the need not to disturb the deer at all, or the need not to carry anything twice to the deer stand? Hunting is sure getting complicated. Probably going to have to retire my old method of carrying stuff into the woods that day, and just surprising the deer.
Those deer must have been slow witted.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

The need to not disturb the deer.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tcshooter
I've hung on a lot of rope for high angle rescue and rock climbing, and I personally wouldn't bet my life on rope that's been out for any period of time.
There you go. From an expert none the less.

My $0.02 is the same although I'm no expert but merely a dude that doesn't want to hit the ground if a fall occurs. Why chance anything to do with safety? BTW, A safety belt once saved my a$$. No fun to hear a "snap" then be hanging there, but the alternative was way worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.