Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iowa whitetail
Scent free stuff is a waste of money hunt the wind.
and wind is free!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Taking a shower in scent free soap, washing clothes with scent free detergent, and not stinking yourself up with breakfast, diesel fuel, and coffee before going to your stand is adequate. I'm not about to strip down to my skivvies to change in the field when it's 10 degrees out. Hunt the wind and 90% of your scent protection is Aiken care of. But hell, if people want to throw big money at magical suits, I guess there is worse things they cold spend money on.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
But hell, if people want to throw big money at magical suits, I guess there is worse things they cold spend money on.
amen
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even Scent Lok had to recant their claims !

What does that tell you ???
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa whitetail
Scent free stuff is a waste of money hunt the wind.

and wind is free!

I do hunt the wind... And do the best I can with my scent. Admittedly, I am very type A. I believe that success is defined in the details. The scent suppresion clothing I wear is just a small part of those details. If I get an extra half a percent chance of killing the buck I am targeting then it is worth it. Minimizing my scent is not something I do because I am, "drinking the commercial hunting kool aid." I wear the stuff because I believe that it can slightly improve my odds. Anything less than my best efforts in all aspects of my season is unacceptable to me and careless and lazy. It seems like I have become the scent suppression spokesperson. I wear it, but it's not like I won't go out in the woods unless I have it. The truth is I've killed decent deer with the stuff and without. I've stated before, scent suppression clothing is definitely not the key to a season's results. However, I will argue to the death that minimizing scent in general is a key. Maybe some guys on here don't have to walk to their stands, but I do. I want as little scent as possible permeating the woods. Maybe some folks have perfect, constant winds every time they hunt. Around here, winds tend to vary a little bit more often than not. If I were to only hunt "perfect" winds, I wouldn't get out more than a few times a year - even with multiple stand options. Hunting mature deer is very different from trying to shoot 2 1/2s. And that's not a statement against anyone that shoots younger deer. Just making the point that you can't treat hunting 3 to 6 year old deer the same as hunting just for meat (I do my best to not waste an ounce of meat, but I also hunt to spend time outdoors and to challenge myself)... In response to a couple other posts, I don't know what moron thinks you can fool a deer's nose that's directly downwind of you if you wear certain clothing. I've never heard a reasonable hunter (that either wears scent suppression or doesn't) make a claim like that. I certainly never have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
But hell, if people want to throw big money at magical suits, I guess there is worse things they cold spend money on.

I've addressed the "magical suit" comment a bunch of times already. As far as throwing money away - I paid $139 two years ago for a Scent Lok coveralls suit. Compare that to buying tops and bottoms of any quality warm season set up (scented or not). I felt great about the price. I paid $319 for a cold season Scent Blocker suit that is silent even in single digit weather and keeps me comfortable into the upper teens. Compare that to a $600 Sitka gear suit, Cabela's MT050, or any other high quality cold season suit and the prices are more than reasonable. The day I went to Cabela's to get the cold weather suit I was going to buy a Cabela's berber fleece set up, but ended up paying less and liking the one I bought more. I don't know, maybe some guys out there do think the suits are magic and maybe some guys are overpaying. I'm not one of them though.

Last edited by North22; 03-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

After going round and round on this topic in my own head, I am coming to the conclusion that:

1. If deer are on alert and they get even the tiniest whiff of you, the hunt is over. Includes scent lok.
2. If you are constantly down wind, including your path into your stand, virtually no scent control is needed.
3. If you walk into your stand across the deers path (as mentioned by North22), then scent minimization might get you off the hook and not busted. And furthermore, your chances of not getting busted increase as your scent decreases.
4. If deer are not on alert, the scent minimization might work to a point, at least in situations where the wind is not directly blowing your scent to the deer. This is what a very experienced hunter friend of mine told me.

That said, I still probably will not be going out and buying this scent lok product. Not now anyway as money is tight. Rather, I will work on scent minimization and setting up and hunting only when the wind is right.

Last edited by MZS; 03-25-2013 at 04:44 AM.