Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Heading to Kansas in November.. travel? >

Heading to Kansas in November.. travel?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heading to Kansas in November.. travel?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM
Spike

Default Heading to Kansas in November.. travel?

I live near Gainesville, Fl. My brother-in-law and myself will be going to Protection, Kansas this fall. I drive a worn out, diesel truck and he drives a jacked up diesel that gets about 8 miles per gallon. We are talking about renting a truck and driving the 20+ hours. Would it be better to fly? What happens if we both kill a deer? How do I get it home? I've never gone out of town to hunt and really don't know where to start. I'm looking for a little help from my forum buddies.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I drive from MI to Wyoming and any other state I hunt out west every Fall. It's a big part of the trip for me to see the USA on the ground and not have the airline hassles with guns, more money now charged for the extras you bring home in horns and meat, etc.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

i would drive if for no other reason than bringing home your game. if you fly there will be substantial charges for that if they will take it at all. i drove 23 hrs by myself to Manitoba last year to moose hunt and had no problem bringing back my whole moose. another hunter in camp ended up giving his away and having to pay a taxidermist to transport this head and antlers back to his taxidermist. driving added a day to my trip on each end but i think it was worth it. if you are the type that can't stand extended windshield time then just be prepared to pay out some pretty big dollars to get your meat and trophy back. good luck.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

I think it would be ideal to drive as well brother. Whatever money you save in flying will be absorbed in shipping, airline fees. Guns, taxidermy, Rental, Meat, etc etc.