Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which broadhead should I use?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some states dont allow mechanical broadheads...I have had good luck with rage 2 blade...although if they are in a spine hit they have trouble deploying...I lost one deer with them the rest were complete pass throughs and not a doubt of the blood trail and they all went down within 50yds
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grim Reapers, Razor Cut. I use the 100grn, 1-3/8ths cut. Blows clean through. NEVER fails to open. No rubber bands. Have taken over 100 animals with them from hogs, deer, bear and Catalina Ram. Never lost an animal till this past year and it was due to me shooting too high on a doe.
Missed near lung, got far lung and lodged in shoulder socket on far side. Found 2 days later in neighbors pond, dead.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
Spell checker get you?
---------------------------------
Someone mentioned simplicity. Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder. It's true that a mechanical has to open on contact and a fixed doesn't, so the mechanical is more complex in that respect (and it's something that might go wrong). But mechanicals have less blade protruding during flight, reducing drag and shear and making them simpler to shoot. I shoot Rage 2's, and I like the fact that I can switch from a practice head to a hunting head without retuning my bow. It's simpler.

Haha yep. I tried to say replacing the O-RINGs.

I agree with the simplicity of not having to retune the bow.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Truth is.....Doesn't matter. Become a great shot and pick a broadhead that flies well with your setup. They all work. Shot placement is the key.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Spell checker get you?
---------------------------------
Someone mentioned simplicity. Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder. It's true that a mechanical has to open on contact and a fixed doesn't, so the mechanical is more complex in that respect (and it's something that might go wrong). But mechanicals have less blade protruding during flight, reducing drag and shear and making them simpler to shoot. I shoot Rage 2's, and I like the fact that I can switch from a practice head to a hunting head without retuning my bow. It's simpler.
Originally Posted by rogerstv
Truth is.....Doesn't matter. Become a great shot and pick a broadhead that flies well with your setup. They all work. Shot placement is the key.
In most cases I'd agree. but I had a good vitals shot from my treestand and I almost lost one deer because the broadhead didnt deploy..somehow the blades got stuck under the skin in between the ribs and skin. The only reason I found the doe was because I followed her to where I heard her crash through the woods...and the point had punctured a lung and she basically bleed out internally.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
In most cases I'd agree. but I had a good vitals shot from my treestand and I almost lost one deer because the broadhead didnt deploy..somehow the blades got stuck under the skin in between the ribs and skin. The only reason I found the doe was because I followed her to where I heard her crash through the woods...and the point had punctured a lung and she basically bleed out internally.
This is why I stick with fixed blades. 99% of the time mechanical deploy fine but, with fixed it always dose its job. Just my prefernce, but I want all my hit animals recoverd and I want equipment that isnt effected by murpheys law.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadheads

Fixed broadheads affects flight.
Fix: Adjustments.

Mechanical Broadheads shoot more like target tips - less effect from wind and planing.

However, there is that orange thing resulting in deployment issues.

Probably easier to fix point of impact adjustments but YMMV as will mine.

I'm migrating to mechanicals because I think deployment will be a lesser issue for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Aye!

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've used the 125gr Thunderheads for about 30 years...

As mentioned, any good, 3 blade fixed head will get the job done...
YESSIR! Won't even TRY anything else, won't fix what ain't broke. Shoot'n 64 LBS, 29 inch draw, 65% let-off..