Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 has anyone made an acorn scent yourself using real acorns? >

has anyone made an acorn scent yourself using real acorns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

has anyone made an acorn scent yourself using real acorns?

Old 09-21-2003, 10:26 PM

Default RE: has anyone made an acorn scent yourself using real acorns?

Good idea mharrisatuwg! -- CDH
Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Spike

Great ideas!!!!

Thanks, and any more input is welcomed.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:33 AM

benhuntin - what does the vanilla extract do?
Vanilla extract gives the acorn scent a stronger smell and smells very much the same as a white oak acorn. I have experimented with plain vanilla extract, strickly acorns only, and varied mixtures of the two both during season and off season.
The mixture is by far the best attractant and cover scent especially right when the acorns start to fall and especially later in the season when most of the trees have just about quit dropping. I usually use it more as an attractant than a cover scent.
Ive sprayed it on my boots and had deer follow it right to the base of my tree.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just boil the acorns and put the water in w/ your hunting clothes when you wash them. Also put some in a spray bottle and use that as a cover scent. Make sure there are oaks in the vicinity of where you hunt.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Spike

Default Thank You

I really appreciate all of your feedback. I ground the acorns down and boiled it to a liquid. I seemed to work great!!! I had several deer walk by the stand and not even flinch.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mbristol
I had several deer walk by the stand and not even flinch.
That's only because the air didn't carry your scent molecules to their nose. Had it done so, the deer would have let you known about it, instantly. LOL!

Say I'm in a large pine tree. The tree smells highly of pine; of course. However, the smell of the pine is no way going to cover my scent.

I thought you wanted to know about the acorn recipe for a lure, not a cover scent. Anyway, you got some interesting feedback.

iSnipe
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by benhuntin
Heres what I do and it works great. boil 1 part acorns to 2 parts water for 30 minutes. ( if you can grind/chop up the acorns in some kind of blender it works better.) Let cool for a couple of hours then strain the acorns and add 1 or 2 tbl spoon of vanilla extract per quart of liquid and mix thoroughly. Put the acorn scent in pump spray bottles. Cost about $5 per gallon.
that sounds interesting. and you feel like that works pretty good for you?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

The cedar limbs in the dryer might be a good idea. I usually just put a few branches in a trashbag with my scent free clothes. The woods I hunt are mostly oak with plenty of cedars mixed in, so I use bags with oak leaves and soil from the area also. I just have all my clothes and coats and gloves that I will be wearing for a week laid out in bags full of natural scents. I only wear them one day before washing in scent free detergent and leaving them bagged overnite to soak up the smell of oak leaves or cedar again. Then of coarse wash yourself with scent free soap just before you dress to hunt, and use scent away type sprays on your boots. The deer will still smell you but they may not know you are there, if they smell stronger natural scents, they may think your scent is from hours or days ago because it is not strong. You got to do what you can, keeping your scent from them is best.
The thing is a deers nose can smell every scent separately. When we smell a strong odor we cannot smell anything else. If you could detect individual scents like some animals do you could smell every ingredient in any recipe separately. Like drugs sniffed out of all the cover scents used to fool a dog, plus the natural surroundings the people around, the tires on the car etc.
So you, as a deer would smell human odor, probably the scent free soap, the clothing, the different plastics that make up your gear, the spec of blood left on your knife from last years buck, steel, gun oil, powder residue, and or the stuff you cleaned your muzzle with, what you ate and drank for breakfast and on and on. This recipe makes up a hunter and each and every scent is detected separately. So like I said, do what you can with cover scents, it may help, but stay out of the wind and use thermals to keep your scent away from their nose.

Last edited by turkey guide; 10-10-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Spike

Get that bag of acorns and stuff every thing you are going to were when you hunt in there. You can also try it with cedar branches.