Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eight pointer

Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Eight pointer

Hey guys I found me a 7 or 8 pointer here where I hunt at two times consecutively and we have trail pics of him I have never spooked him and he has never flagged me with his tail but he just won't come within my max confident range he keeps looking into the box blind that I'm hunting and never turns broadside unless he is leaving the food plot and he is never with any other deer. He always looks like he is very nervous. He is a good sized deer for around here and that is my first 7 or 8 I have ever seen while hunting. Can anyone help me out with what I should do to get him down on the ground?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

What are you using gun or bow? Whats the range? Get used to em being spooky! Your lucky he is coming in during daylight hours.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I'm using a gun I can group 1 inch or less at 150 yards with my 243 and I feel confident out to about 165 on a deer
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

He stays out at about 180 or 175 but he never ever turns broadside to the house
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Austinhuntman
He stays out at about 180 or 175 but he never ever turns broadside to the house
Hunting house I mean
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Spike

Hey the only thing you can do is wait it out and hope he turns broadside cause honestly another 10 to 15 yards beyond your comfort with a rifle you should be good if you are grouping 1" at 150 yards. Or try moveing up the tree line and sit on the ground, but just don't sit right on top of his trail. Also make sure the wind is good and you don't leave to much human scent around. Goodluck and hope you put him down.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah going this weekend and I'm going to camp out in that stand and he comes out a different way every time I think he is just very cautious and very smart
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with cmoutos....if there is a tree line just ground hunt and close up the gap a bit......but there is not a lot of difference in 150 yards and 180 yards. If you can shoot 1" groups at 150 yards I would wait until he was facing me and put the bullet right square in his chest.....he is not going to go anywhere.....just make sure you aim square into his chest and the bullet will reach the vitals for sure.....also make sure you have a good solid rest and if you don't feel comfortable wait until you do. Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I don't want to shoot in the chest a risk entering into no mans land ang getting his guts
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Spike

Well if you are going to hunt the same stand you may want to try and take a grunt call and get him to turn for you but be careful with that cause he may deside to drop back in the woods and circle you to catch a scent if he is that skidish and smart. Just give her hell and just think if you don't get him this year he will be bigger next year if he sticks around. Goodluck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.