Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eight pointer

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shoot already

Take the shot. Hold 1-2" high and squeeze it off.

Or leave your ground blind where it is and put up a tree stand at a different angle 30 yards closer one night. Get nto your stand an hour earlier than usual. Be still.

No mans land? If you can shoot 1" at 150 with a .243, there IS no 'no mans land' at 180 yards.

However I can appreciate not taking a shot you're not comfortable with. Something tells me there's another factor involved here.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

I am not going to pull the trigger unless I feel absolutely confident with my shot I don't want to risk shooting him and injuring him but no killing him. That is a guaranteed way to never see him again
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

No other factors that's all there is and I just don't want to take a risky shot and mess it up because I'm excited. I thought you guys would at least respect that I didn't take a chance in wounding a great deer and risking not seeing him again
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others said if you can hold 1" groups at 150 then 180 isn't much of a stretch...Look up deer vitals online and it will help you knowing where to aim on a head on shot.
This is something you should know anyway. Some people think they are aiming right and aren't hitting vitals or not heart lung area even when a deer is broadside.

A gun with the right amount of energy will drop a deer in its tracks at 180 yards. But you should also be prepared to track him if he runs off. At that distance even head on make sure he is still. The last thing you want is him taking a sidestep and your bullet striking him wrong...If he is head up looking your way standing there I would center the chest and squeeze a round off. I'd guess he'd be laying there when you walk up....

Oh and when that happens....post up some pics!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

I will and I know how to do a head on shot I just don't feel real comfortable doing one that far the range isn't the problem it is that I don't like to take chest shots I will take one if he shows up again though. Defenately
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Austinhuntman
I thought you guys would at least respect that I didn't take a chance in wounding a great deer
You bet I do....with any deer not just big bucks...better not to shoot than take what you think is an iffy shot. And really the only one that can make that call is you. I say good job for having the will power to not take a shot....many people would have gone for it...

I think most people here think the same as me.... totally cool with you not taking the shot...but trying to encourage you to not miss an opportunity to kill a nice buck...

Ultimately its your call...I for one hope he walks in broadside at 100 yards or less so you don't have to worry about a front shot.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't take head shots...Through the chest (Lungs/heart) for me. I have been lucky and never needed to shoot one head on...If your ready when he turns you could get a half second broadside ...but you better have the cross hairs on him....

I think you may have misread my post...by "head on", I meant facing you not head shot.

Last edited by Jasonlester; 12-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I knew what you meant by that sir. Thank you
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sir???? who you talking to ...LOL

Good luck buddy let us know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
........However I can appreciate not taking a shot you're not comfortable with. Something tells me there's another factor involved here.
This IS respect for you not taking a shot you think marginal.

However, I also think you should spend time on the range with your chosen firearm... the .243 you are using.

That round is a capable cartridge for a frontal shot at 180 yards but you must be ready.

Being ready is key. I think you are not ready because at that range (180 yards), you are untested.

This is only supposition on my part. Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited by DeppedyDogg; 12-12-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Clarity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.