Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you attract deer?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

you gotta talk sweet to them...
Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a mini skirt and thigh high stocking since it would attract my attention but didn't work. Just kidding.

Early season Sept not much you can do unless you can hunt a bait pile. I cant so never worried about it but can take out a fawn distress call here and their for 2 reasons. 1 - Can potentially call in a doe, 2 - Can potentially call in a yote and getting rid of them in your area can make the following seasons better with less predators.

2 weeks before the rut would leave buck scent around scrapes to get the already pumped boys to hang around and maybe even want to find the new guy on the block (Coincidentally holding a slug gun). I have personally never had much luck with grunt calls or rattling until right before and during the rut. Later in the rut loses its edge due to most deer being bedded and gets mostly young bucks still hoping (Which isnt bad either).

I would use doe estrus at the first signs of rut even a week prior or few days prior all the way to the end and even a little after the rut.

Late season try to keep food sources from getting covered with leaves so they get sun and again if you can bait with food to attract deer. This to me is the best attractant at this time as food is essential and easy food is tops.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just whisper C'mere deer. Just realized this post is almost a year old and the deer are a year wiser.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 10-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.