Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting a Hunting Area

Old 09-16-2003, 08:52 PM

Default Scouting a Hunting Area

I just scouted some new hunting land today. The mosquitoes were terrible by the way. I did not see any rubs or scrapes but plenty of trails going everywhere thru the fields. Does this usually mean no bucks? Am I wasting my time at this land or do you have any recommendations on where at this land I can place a stand? There is woods and a field, the field is full of brush about waist high. there is a bean field across the street and an apple tree on my side. Any good or waste of time ? Please let me know, Thanks.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Scouting a Hunting Area

did i just read and saw the word apple tree. man you have got a jackpot .hang a stand preety close to the apple tree. but if you got trails threw the fields. try to place a stand close as you can to a well used trail. the deer might be bedding in the field if you said the field was waist high .sounds like a preety good spot to me . do you bow hunt or gun hunt.

the best never rest.

go deep and hunt hard.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 PM

NH,

I would say stick with it. With the bean field on the other side and you having that apple tree this sounds like a fairly good set up.

You mentioned lot of trails... This sounds like the deer a moving back a forth from the bean field(s) to thier bedding areas in the brush.

If you have the time quietly go back a check for fresh signs i.e. droppings, tracks etc.

Find the most used trail and focus on this. when season opens be ready and out thier, they will pass, just hope its a shooter. But, the rut should offer some better ods.

Good luck, hope this helps!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 PM

Does this usually mean no bucks?

Where there are does, you will eventualy see a buck.....or two......who knows. Setup along the edge of the field near the apple tree or the trail with the most sign. Also, get back into the woods and continue looking for signs. There has got to be a buck around somewhere.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

When the rut comes on you want to be with the does, the buck will come.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:22 AM

thanks for the info guys.
Yes, I will be bowhunting at this property. I placed my tree near the apple tree. I also bought some buck snort apple gel. Maybe this could help. I just wasnt sure about it since I did not see any rubs or scrapes, I did not look in the woods for very long due to the mosquito population but from what I saw, no rubs. thanks again.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tazman is right on. Hunt the does during the rut and the bucks will come.

Brian
Old 09-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s still a little early for rubs and scrape too. You should start seeing more rubs in a few weeks and the scrapes will pick up in the latter part of October. Lack of those two indicators isn' t a problem after reading about the other deer attractions your spot offers.

And the other guys are right--where there' s does, there' s gonna be bucks during the rut.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check your tree line field edges, you may soon start to see scrapes below licking branches along the field edges and rubs also along the tree line. You can also look for last years licking branches, I have found some of mine and they have deer hair on them already so the bucks are already using them to help facilite velvet removal, etc
If have the does come rut you will have the bucks.