Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scouting for a new area? >

Scouting for a new area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting for a new area?

Old 08-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting for a new area?

Hopefully some of you can provide me with some insight on what to do.

I live in Central KY now and I do not know any land owners or any real hunters. I lease land in West Virginia and travel ther quite often to hunt, however I would like to have a place close to hunt during the week days without having to take a lot of time off work.

I scouted an area yesterday. The property is not posted, and there is a pretty good road for access.......good enough for my truck. The woods are loades with deer sign. the bad thing is it's loaded with human sign too. I found 2 stands and a trail cam. There is an area that I think I can hunt that is far enough away from the two stands, but I am not sure if it is private land/public land/leased land or if it's just hunted to death. Any ideas on how I can find out? What would you do?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Scouting for a new area?

You need to get a county plat book that shows each "unit" of land and who owns it. You can probably find them at the courthouse or the ASCS office if you have one in that area. They also go by another name, but I call them plat maps..

Also, you mention that the land is not "posted". Have you actually talked to a landowner? If not, I suggest you do before trespassing on others land.