Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by superstrutter
I think most hunters will say if you want to hunt with dogs, that's your choice. The problem lies when the dogs start running through private property. Just be a responsible and considerate hunter and run dogs on property large enough to where there won't be a problem with private landowners. Nothing pisses me off more than having a pack of hounds come through my property while I'm hunting on a beautiful still morning. I'm not going to shoot them, but it better not continue to happen. There are better ways to settle the problem than to kill a mans hunting dogs. Again, be responsible and respectful.
Very good point! I hunt with dogs and still hunt. I will take a day to just go sit in my treestand and relax and will have hounds or beagles come through my land but i dont get mad, like i said on the 1st page, just shoot the deer and it will quit quickly im sure. Most your clubs want to kill the deer and not have someone else kill it. Most places around here where we hunt and many other clubs are just like it, you may have a few big blocks of land and small blocks, they arent there to ruin anyones day if the dogs get out the hunt. it happens but most guys try to get the dogs before they get out and away
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with you Ohboy. Nobody I know of intentionally turns hounds out on private property, but they will sometimes run to private property. Like I stated before I dont hunt deer with hounds but do bear hunt with hounds. A bear dog may chase a bear 15+ miles before it trees, I have had it happen MANY times. There is always a chance they will cross private ground, it isnt the dog or the owners fault if this happens. No one can predict where a animal will run. It is hard to find a spot that has a 20+ mile radius of public land where I hunt, it will happen and it is unitentional. Fortunately everytime my hounds have ended up on private land the owner has respected me and my dogs, and they didnt have any problems with me retreiveing them. I have even had some tell me to go ahead and kill the bear. I personally will let a land owner know my hounds are on his property and I am just there to get them, I never had a issue. Treat a man with respect and usually you get respect, treat a man like crap and you can bet you will get it back in return.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Yeah, I dunno. I also really like the knockdown power of a muzzleloader or HPR. With the exception of my first year hunting where I stupidly used buckshot during a hunt, I have never lost a deer. I read too many stories of deer being lost by arrow shots that were not completely perfect.

And the warm weather...yuck. That's why we have fishing. I just can't associate deer hunting with high 70's temps. And I bet the deer have a ton of ticks that time of year!

As far as hunting counties west of the dog running line, that is a good idea. At least for a couple hunts a year. If I don't get a deer at last light, I like being able to get home to my family before the kids go to bed. If I hunt too far away, I'll miss that. So I might start looking for public land to hunt in those areas.

You would be surprised at how lethal an arrow is. All it takes is some practice and knowing your limits. A few years back I introduced a friend into bowhunting. I took him to a trusted pro shop and the owner set him up with a bow that fit him(correct draw weight and draw length). He practiced from May until hunting season started in September. He made a self imposed limit of no shots beyond 25 yards and he killed 2 doe in his first season and clean missed a decent buck. Now with crossbows being legal in VA, the learning curve is even quicker.

FWIW, I have found ticks on deer the first week of Jan before. I'm not sure you could find a deer that does not have some ticks.

I understand about being home with your family as that is what's important in life.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Jim Burns- You should quit while your ahead, its not worth the arguement on here with these guys. I am a still hunter and dog hunter, been doing it for 20yrs now, since i was 8. Its a way of life around here in SE VA. And there are tons and tons of clubs here and hopefully it will never go away. I know exactly what your saying about owning dogs and food and the tracking equipment. Most dont realize that the gps units now will tell you as soon as a dogs stops and sits it will tell you, they have no idea what that gps can do! And here in VA if you get caught harming a "hunting" dog, well goodluck to you. Our club has club dogs and private owned dogs, just like mostly all clubs now. All these people bashing using dogs probably have never been hunting with them and havent had the chance to see the thrill in it. I bet everyone of these guys would miss most the deer being chased by a pack of hounds at the speed that deer is going, especially across a field! Most of you are saying yeah right i can kill a deer running or have shot a deer running, well put a pack of fast hounds behind him and speed him up a few mph! Around here you have to use shotguns with buckshot, no rifles or muzzleloaders. slug guns are allowed after the controlled hunts. If someone is a still hunter and trys it and doesnt like it, then thats fine, but if you goto a club that is enjoyable and you run alot of deer and kill many, you would have fun. Yes most are right that dogs shouldnt go on others land, but when in a chase they are following the deer so they are doing what they are taught to do, maybe you should be mad at the deer for not staying in the hunt. Also, in VA and maybe other states, as a dog owner you can go on someones land to get your dog, like it or not..
Im not taking anyones side cause we all have opinion's, they are like a-holes, mostly all are going to stink! But as i see it, if you dont like it then dont bash others for using it if its legal.
The few times I have deer hunted with dogs it was enjoyable, but I personally prefer to hunt from stands without the use of dogs. Having said that I do know of a couple clubs that have been known to turn their dogs loose on other peoples property. I do have a problem with that and I think other dog hunters should too. The few that do that are making all dog hunters look bad.

I don't want dog hunting banned because I think that would open the flood gates to ban other forms of hunting. What I would like to see is the state require a minimum of 1,000 acres to run dogs and do it in December after the majority of the rut is over. Just my opinion here but we really do need to stick together as hunters.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
The few times I have deer hunted with dogs it was enjoyable, but I personally prefer to hunt from stands without the use of dogs. Having said that I do know of a couple clubs that have been known to turn their dogs loose on other peoples property. I do have a problem with that and I think other dog hunters should too. The few that do that are making all dog hunters look bad.

I don't want dog hunting banned because I think that would open the flood gates to ban other forms of hunting. What I would like to see is the state require a minimum of 1,000 acres to run dogs and do it in December after the majority of the rut is over. Just my opinion here but we really do need to stick together as hunters.

Exactly, only thing i dont agree on is the 1,000 acres of land cause thats hard to come by now a day anyway, but atleast a minimum of dogs turned loose on a peice of land, that can be controlled. I know of a few clubs that do the samething, they surround the roads and paths of other peoples land and turn dogs loose on the property and let the dogs go run the deer off that land, i dont agree with that and thats what causes a big stink! Clubs that have been around for a long time and are organized dont do that dumb crap. Like you said, we dont want to get anything banned cause then hunting could go all haywire in Va and could screw all of us up.
To Nato, take up bow hunting, its fun and gets you in the woods earlier and you see the early deer routes and movement and gets you ready for the mL season and then the rut, you know where the does are.. good luck to all for the rest of the season!

Last edited by Ohboy; 11-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Exactly, only thing i dont agree on is the 1,000 acres of land cause thats hard to come by now a day anyway, but atleast a minimum of dogs turned loose on a peice of land, that can be controlled. I know of a few clubs that do the samething, they surround the roads and paths of other peoples land and turn dogs loose on the property and let the dogs go run the deer off that land, i dont agree with that and thats what causes a big stink! Clubs that have been around for a long time and are organized dont do that dumb crap. Like you said, we dont want to get anything banned cause then hunting could go all haywire in Va and could screw all of us up.
To Nato, take up bow hunting, its fun and gets you in the woods earlier and you see the early deer routes and movement and gets you ready for the mL season and then the rut, you know where the does are.. good luck to all for the rest of the season!
The 1,000 acres could be a little too constrictive I guess. I look at turning dogs loose on someone else's property no different than someone shooting from a roadway. The dog's owner(s) should be charged with trespassing, any firearms or vehicles used should be confiscated, and hunting licenses should be revoked for 1 year. I also think the dog hunters should be required to buy a special license just like we have to for bowhunting, crossbow, and blackpowder.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

The 1,000 acres could be a little too constrictive I guess. I look at turning dogs loose on someone else's property no different than someone shooting from a roadway. The dog's owner(s) should be charged with trespassing, any firearms or vehicles used should be confiscated, and hunting licenses should be revoked for 1 year. I also think the dog hunters should be required to buy a special license just like we have to for bowhunting, crossbow, and blackpowder.
Where I hunt you do have to buy a special license, you have to have a hound permit.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

The dog's owner(s) should be charged with trespassing, any firearms or vehicles used should be confiscated, and hunting licenses should be revoked for 1 year.
I dont agree with the permit cause thats only giving the state more money to blow on stupid stuff. If they were putting the money to use on something good, then yea i could see it. Thats like bow/crossbow and blackpowder lisc. shouldnt be seperate either i dont think, but thats my opinion. I bow hunt so i have it, but i dont have a mL lisc. cause i cant use them in the county im in.
And the charges, that probably wouldnt ever happen cause dog owners in va. can legally walk in your front yard and get his/hers dog if thats where the dog is. They better not have a weapon with them, but they can go get the dog.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

as a dog hunter if have to disagree with jim burns. we have rabbit dogs, deer dogs and fox dogs. you can call anyone of them out of a race. it takes time and training. they will run it as long as you let them. once they get close to the property line blow the truck horn and in a minute they will be at the tailgate. we figured it out a few years ago that if we wanted to hunt with dogs, we had better start taking responsibility. i've never bought into my dog can't read..................tony
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hycohounds
as a dog hunter if have to disagree with jim burns. we have rabbit dogs, deer dogs and fox dogs. you can call anyone of them out of a race. it takes time and training. they will run it as long as you let them. once they get close to the property line blow the truck horn and in a minute they will be at the tailgate. we figured it out a few years ago that if we wanted to hunt with dogs, we had better start taking responsibility. i've never bought into my dog can't read..................tony
I hunt bears in the mountains of Idaho and Utah were it is really thick timbered with lots of draws and ridges, it is nothing like hunting down here in Florida in the flat land where sound travels great distances. A dog can be as little as 200 yards from you and you wont here them and they wont here you, the only way you are going to call them off of a bear in that kind of terrain is by shocking him off. As a hound hunter you should know you dont want to shock a dog off of the animal he is trained to pursue, that is a good way to ruin a hound. That might work on rabbit, deer and fox dogs but they run nothing like a bear, they deffinitely dont run as far. I know this thread is about deer dogs and I hunt bears, but a hound hunter is a hound hunter no matter what game you pursuit.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 11-28-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.