Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
And when they ban hound hunting they will be comeing after your way next, and me and alot of other hound hunters will be on there side, obviously you are siding with the antis.. so if we cant hunt our way neither will you. Get it?
The VAHDA is against Sunday Hunting....so is PETA and USHS ect...so it looks like YOUR standing with the ANTIS already and your not smart enough to know it or just don't care....
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

And when they ban hound hunting they will be comeing after your way next, and me and alot of other hound hunters will be on there side, obviously you are siding with the antis.. so if we cant hunt our way neither will you. Get it?
And what about the states that have never allowed it for deer or bear, or have in the past and have since banned it? Are their hunting rights being diminished?

I am not sure I want it banned. Certainly not for rabbits, coons and the like. But my frequent run-ins with it and the hunters behind it have really made me want to consider something I really didn't want to before: bowhunting. But if that's what I need to do to avoid a style of hunting that foists itself upon everyone in the vicinity, so be it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
The VAHDA is against Sunday Hunting....so is PETA and USHS ect...so it looks like YOUR standing with the ANTIS already and your not smart enough to know it or just don't care....

I wish I had caught that lol!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

And this coming from someone that is asking people on the internet how to get a deer? I tagged out this year, how about you? Obviously not or you wouldnt be asking dumb questions and using hound hunters as a excuse why so are eating tag soup this year. I did kill a big buck this year, and without hounds, just like I have been doing for the last 30+ years.
I did what? I asked someone how to get a deer? Hmmmm. Nope. I asked if anyone has ever hunted via wading a creek. And yeah, I'm not too proud to ask for advice when about to do something I've never done before.

I've killed two bucks this season, each within 15 yards of me on the ground, one while still hunting. And have passed on several. I dunno about Florida, but we get 6 tags in VA. I have no need to tag out.

But this doesn't change the fact that you said you've never been able to sneak up on a deer. And you've been hunting a whole lot longer than me, LOL!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I did what? I asked someone how to get a deer? Hmmmm. Nope. I asked if anyone has ever hunted via wading a creek. And yeah, I'm not too proud to ask for advice when about to do something I've never done before.

I've killed two bucks this season, each within 15 yards of me on the ground, one while still hunting. And have passed on several. I dunno about Florida, but we get 6 tags in VA. I have no need to tag out.

But this doesn't change the fact that you said you've never been able to sneak up on a deer. And you've been hunting a whole lot longer than me, LOL!
You will never consistently walk up on a MATURE whitetail, yeah you might get one once in awhile that way but it isnt a very sucsessful way to hunt big bucks. Anyone that has had any consistent sucsess killing nice mature whitails will tel you the same. Never said I have never done it, just not a very good way of going about it. Best to find a spot and sit, be quiet and move as little as possible. There is nothing in the woods smarter than a mature whitetail buck. We have like a 3 deer a day bag limit in Florida, but like I have said before, I hunt real deer up north, not dog size deer that Florida has.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Your sunday hunting has been brought up many times in the past 15-16 years, it has been defeated every time by the MAJORITY of the people in Vurginia not just by the houndsmen associaition which votes also by the majority of its members.

“We killed that 7-0.” Edmunds, an avid hunter, has nonetheless stated his opposition to Sunday hunting “People in rural Virginia especially recognize [Sunday] as a day of peace, and hunters who hunt in that area didn’t want it,” Edmunds said. “It’s been up before us the past 15-16 years, and it’s died every year.” Virginia is one of 11 states that prohibit hunting on Sundays, and rural-based organizations such as Virginia Farm Bureau have stated their opposition to Sunday hunting.

The VAHDA didnt become a oranization until 1991, so how can you blame them for not hunting on sunday? I beleive this law has been arround way longer than the VAHDA.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your sunday hunting has been brought up many times in the past 15-16 years, it has been defeated every time by the MAJORITY of the people in Vurginia not just by the houndsmen associaition which votes also by the majority of its members.

“We killed that 7-0.” Edmunds, an avid hunter, has nonetheless stated his opposition to Sunday hunting “People in rural Virginia especially recognize [Sunday] as a day of peace, and hunters who hunt in that area didn’t want it,” Edmunds said. “It’s been up before us the past 15-16 years, and it’s died every year.” Virginia is one of 11 states that prohibit hunting on Sundays, and rural-based organizations such as Virginia Farm Bureau have stated their opposition to Sunday hunting.
The VAHDA didnt become a oranization until 1991, so how can you blame them for not hunting on sunday? I beleive this law has been arround way longer than the VAHDA.
Since you seem to know so much about hunting in VA....did you know you can chase bear in VA from Aug 11 through Sept 29....and that INCLUDES SUNDAYS.....
WAIT....SUNDAYS A DAY OF REST.....
And you can also HUNT on Licensed Shooting Preserves ON SUNDAYS.....
WAIT.....THERES NO SUNDAY HUNTING....
Looks like YOU and the people that don't want Sunday Hunting are either stupid and don't realize that hunting is already taking place and that the doggers are out on Sundays running their dogs chasing bears or your ALL just a bunch of hypocrites ......
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
Since you seem to know so much about hunting in VA....did you know you can chase bear in VA from Aug 11 through Sept 29....and that INCLUDES SUNDAYS.....
WAIT....SUNDAYS A DAY OF REST.....
And you can also HUNT on Licensed Shooting Preserves ON SUNDAYS.....
WAIT.....THERES NO SUNDAY HUNTING....
Looks like YOU and the people that don't want Sunday Hunting are either stupid and don't realize that hunting is already taking place and that the doggers are out on Sundays running their dogs chasing bears or your ALL just a bunch of hypocrites ......
Under section 29.1-521 of the Virginia Code, it is illegal to hunt or kill any animal, even a "nuisance" animal and even on private land, on Sundays, "a rest day for all species of wild bird and wild animal life, except raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings." So where do you get your info from? What you are refering to is a training season, it isnt a hunting season, no firearms can be present. You can scout areas to hunt on sundays cant you? Are you just pissed because someone can train there dogs on sunday or what? It isnt concidered a hunting season because you cant take a animal. You can chase bear on sunday but you cant kill it during a tyraining season. Most staes that have a hound season has a training season, its called persuit only!

Here is a copy of the code, maybe I missed something.

Unlawful to hunt, trap, possess, sell or transport wild birds andwild animals except as permitted; exception; penalty.
A. The following shall be unlawful:
1. To hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including any nuisancespecies, with a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday, which is herebydeclared a rest day for all species of wild bird and wild animal life, exceptraccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. However, aperson lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an areathat could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday,absent evidence to the contrary.
2. To destroy or molest the nest, eggs, dens or young of any wild bird orwild animal, except nuisance species, at any time without a permit asrequired by law.
3. To hunt or attempt to kill or trap any species of wild bird or wild animalafter having obtained the daily bag or season limit during such day orseason. However, any properly licensed person, or a person exempt from havingto obtain a license, who has obtained such daily bag or season limit whilehunting may assist others who are hunting game by calling game, retrievinggame, handling dogs, or conducting drives if the weapon in his possession isan unloaded firearm, a bow without a nocked arrow or an unloaded crossbow.Any properly licensed person, or person exempt from having to obtain alicense, who has obtained such season limit prior to commencement of the huntmay assist others who are hunting game by calling game, retrieving game,handling dogs, or conducting drives, provided he does not have a firearm, bowor crossbow in his possession.
4. To knowingly occupy any baited blind or other baited place for the purposeof taking or attempting to take any wild bird or wild animal or to put outbait or salt for any wild bird or wild animal for the purpose of taking orkilling them. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that a person chargedwith violating this subdivision knows that he is occupying a baited blind orother baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wildbird or wild animal. However, this shall not apply to baiting nuisancespecies of animals and birds, or to baiting traps for the purpose of takingfur-bearing animals that may be lawfully trapped.
5. To kill or capture any wild bird or wild animal adjacent to any area whilea field or forest fire is in progress.
6. To shoot or attempt to take any wild bird or wild animal from anautomobile or other vehicle, except as provided in 29.1-521.3.
7. To set a trap of any kind on the lands or waters of another withoutattaching to the trap the name and address of the trapper.
8. To set a trap where it would be likely to injure persons, dogs, stock orfowl.
9. To fail to visit all traps once each day and remove all animals caught,and immediately report to the landowner as to stock, dogs or fowl that arecaught and the date. However, the Director or his designee may authorizeemployees of federal, state, and local government agencies, and personsholding a valid Commercial Nuisance Animal Permit issued by the Department,to visit conibear-style body-gripping traps that are completely submerged atleast once every 72 hours.
10. To hunt, trap, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture or kill,possess, deliver for transportation, transport, cause to be transported, byany means whatever, receive for transportation or export, or import, at anytime or in any manner, any wild bird or wild animal or the carcass or anypart thereof, except as specifically permitted by law and only by the manneror means and within the numbers stated. However, the provisions of thissection shall not be construed to prohibit the (i) use or transportation oflegally taken turkey carcasses, or portions thereof, for the purposes ofmaking or selling turkey callers or (ii) the manufacture or sale ofimplements, including, but not limited to, tools or utensils, made fromlegally harvested deer skeletal parts, including antlers.
11. To offer for sale, sell, offer to purchase, or purchase, at any time orin any manner, any wild bird or wild animal or the carcass or any partthereof, except as specifically permitted by law, including, but not limitedto, subsection D of 29.1-553. However, any nonprofit organization exemptfrom taxation under 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, which is (i)organized to provide wild game as food to the hungry and (ii) authorized bythe Department to possess, transport and distribute donated or unclaimed meatto the hungry, may pay a processing fee in order to obtain such meat. Suchfees shall not exceed the actual cost for processing the meat. In addition,any nonprofit organization exempt from taxation under 501 (c) (3) of theInternal Revenue Code, that is (a) organized to support wildlife habitatconservation and (b) approved by the Department, shall be allowed to offerwildlife mounts that have undergone the taxidermy process for sale inconjunction with fundraising activities. A violation of this subdivisionshall be punishable as provided in 29.1-553.
B. Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any American Indian,who produces verification that he is an enrolled member of a tribe recognizedby the Commonwealth, another state or the U.S. government, may possess, offerfor sale or sell to another American Indian, or offer to purchase or purchasefrom another American Indian, parts of legally obtained fur-bearing animals,nonmigratory game birds, and game animals, except bear. Such legally obtainedparts shall include antlers, hooves, feathers, claws and bones.
"Verification" as used in this section shall include, but is not limitedto, (i) showing a valid tribal identification card, (ii) confirmation througha central tribal registry, (iii) a letter from a tribal chief or council, or(iv) certification from a tribal office that the person is an enrolled memberof the tribe.
C. A violation of subdivisions 1 through 10 of subsection A of this sectionshall be punishable as a Class 3 misdemeanor.
(Code 1950, 29-143; 1962, c. 469; 1974, c. 302; 1979, c. 264; 1987, c. 488;1988, c. 175; 1989, c. 421; 1990, c. 237; 1994, cc. 244, 436; 1997, c. 249;1998, c. 415; 2000, c. 13; 2001, cc. 26, 60; 2004, c. 862; 2005, cc. 170,533, 534; 2006, cc. 20, 215.)

The first laws regulating public activities on Sundays were passed in colonial Virginia in the 1620s. Similar laws intended to keep the Sabbath holy were soon adopted elsewhere in America.

It had nthing to do with hound hunting, if you dont like them get organized and do something about it. Thats the difference with regular hunters and hound hunters, hound hunters are a organized group that does something instead of whining about it.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-11-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look under general information.....Page 19 ....UNLAWFUL METHODS.....

It is unlawful to :
Hunt wild birds and wild animals with firearms or other weapons on Sunday....EXCEPT on a licensed shooting preserve.
Like I said you can hunt on Sundays....and run dogs on Sundays chasing bear....so I
guess it's not a day day of rest after all......
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to read the article I posted Mr. Burns. The VAHDA leadership screwed hunters last year during the General Assembly session. Furthermore, the VDGIF is in support of lifting the ban and they have surveys from a majority of hunters who want the ban lifted.

And yes, you can hunt in VA on Sunday if you hunt on a licensed shooting preserve. You just can't hunt on your own property. How much durn sense does that make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.