Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Once deer smell humans will they... >

Once deer smell humans will they...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Once deer smell humans will they...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Once deer smell humans will they...

Once deer smell humans in a specific territory, will they not go to that area for a while (2 months or so)?

My dad and I are going whitetail hunting on Tuesday here in Missouri on 14 acres of land, and Im trying to figure out if we're even going to see anything because there's been 2 to 3 people out there each day since the season started (Nov. 10th).

What are your thoughts? Will deer still come around even if there's been people in and out of tree stands all week? I think there's always a chance but I wanted to get some feedback from others. Keep in mind these are professional hunters. No newbies.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

depends on deer enisty if th 14 arce are surronded by other wods if there are hunters in the other woods preueig them. but u can shoot a deer on thecouch
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent "pressure" for sure is real, however I think that it is very difficult to definitively say when and if deer will/will not move through an area that has been "contaminated" by human scent. From my 4 decades of experience, I have seen no strong evidence that deer will avoid such an area for any length of time. Last season for example I returned to the same area 3 days straight, stayed in most of each day the first two days before catching a nice buck slipping through the morning of the third day. And I only went in there when the wind was in my favor to slip in-out without blowing up where I think that the deer are bedding. Frankly I think that is a bigger deal than the effects of "left over" scent from a couple of days before.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I get a shot at a nice buck.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see deer in a park, that's used by people. Seen deer use a wooded cut-through with houses and apartments within 30 yards.

Seen deer move through a wooded area with a leaf blower going in a driveway less than 100 yards away.

The bigger problem I see is when deer would use such a small amount of land, in such a situation. Only time spent in a stand will tell that.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

HuntMO,
I live in northern Virginia where there are many deer. The deer around here are used to smelling humans and things associated with humans. They pass in front of my and my neighbors front windows; doesn't bother them. However, when I lived in Colorado and I was hunting in some of the remote canyons, those deer would smell a human and they were gone for at least a week.

Like Valentine said, "Only time spent in a stand will tell that."

Like Forrest Gump said, "That's all I'm gunna say."
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DROX
HuntMO,
I live in northern Virginia where there are many deer. The deer around here are used to smelling humans and things associated with humans. They pass in front of my and my neighbors front windows; doesn't bother them. However, when I lived in Colorado and I was hunting in some of the remote canyons, those deer would smell a human and they were gone for at least a week.

Like Valentine said, "Only time spent in a stand will tell that."

Like Forrest Gump said, "That's all I'm gunna say."
This really shed some light for me, and I appreciate it.

Tomorrow is the first and only day I get to hunt. Firearms season ends tomorrow in Missouri. I have a good feeling about my hunt tomorrow.

If I bring home a winner I'll be sure to post pics.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the same spot every weekend. usually sit on the same log every weekend. one saturaday morning, I get to the log, and a deer left me a nice pile of droppings. Like he knew I was coming back to that exact spot.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by the blur
I hunt in the same spot every weekend. usually sit on the same log every weekend. one saturaday morning, I get to the log, and a deer left me a nice pile of droppings. Like he knew I was coming back to that exact spot.
LOL

I know I know not funny
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

And what's funnier, I saw him yesterday. He's still alive and well. I was sitting on that same log, over looking the floor of the forest.

and I was scanning the forest floor for about 2 hours. very still, very quiet. But I never looked behind me.
Finally I decided to get up, and do one of those manevers to put my back pack on. Kind of swing it around, & throw it on your back.

I turn around, this buck is 10 yards behind me, staring at me. And the Commotion I made to put my back pack on startled him. My gun is still on the log. He trots off very slowly, down hill.

The biggest hind quarters I've ever seen. My heart starts pounding like never before. and all I could do it watch him trot off.

But I'm going back up next weekend, and I will sit on that same log.