Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer hunting small 3 acre woodlot, what can I do to get deer to stop more frequently? >

Deer hunting small 3 acre woodlot, what can I do to get deer to stop more frequently?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting small 3 acre woodlot, what can I do to get deer to stop more frequently?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Spike

Question Deer hunting small 3 acre woodlot, what can I do to get deer to stop more frequently?

I finally got permission to hunt some property in northern Indiana and it has about 3 acres of woods and is kind of a stand alone woods were I have a stand facing a cornfield that I shoot out of. It does have a deep 8ft ditch that runs on the south side of it. This property is owned by a farmer and so it has 4ft metal fences that surround part of this property by the ditch if you know what I mean. Now I've seen deer in the field next to my woods drive by from the road but I've hunted it numerous times and I do sit for most the day and I see nothing. On one of those days I did shoot a coyote. Also the farmer does have cattle and does spread cow manure in the fields around my woods. What can I do to see more deer frequently? An Ariel photo of my property is uploaded below. It's the small woods in the top left corner. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Deer hunting small 3 acre woodlot, what can I do to get deer to stop more frequently?-image.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Spike

Ask permission to plant a few apples trees. I'm in the same position in which I hunt a 4 acre wood lot in farm country.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uwbadgers
Ask permission to plant a few apples trees. I'm in the same position in which I hunt a 4 acre wood lot in farm country.
I was wanting to try that or maybe a mineral block, what are good deer attractants?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

Is that ditch a good enough water source?
That could be a factor as well...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 07superglide
Is that ditch a good enough water source?
That could be a factor as well...
When it rains there is water in it but like the drought we had this year most of it was dried up, the ditch is about 8-10ft wide and about 6-8 feet deep with a 4ft wire fence right along the side of it
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

If you looking for a good mineral I would try Lucky Buck before anything else. I have gotten more pictures on that stuff that anything else. And it's really good for Antler growth if you use it year round. If you use it year round you really will be able to notice a different in antler weight on trail camera pictures.