Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another how old....

Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Probably 3.5, he has just a bit of belly and back swag. His rack, although he looks to have potential, is barely at his ears, kind of thin. He does have fair tine length though. Next yr he may have all his tines and more mass and spread. For your area though, he may be as big as he will ever get. The main thing, is if you are happy with him, then hang him on the wall!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Typical Buck

oh yea I would be happy with him. I put this deer at above average in our area and hold out till the last week of archery trying to get an above average deer.

I know his antlers dont really support a 4.5 yo I was just thinking on body size alone.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

You need to hold out for him until gun season, need the points for our team! Seriously though if you see him take him down anytime, nice looking deer.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Spike

Yes the spike is a 1.5 year old but that doesnt mean all your deer start out as spikes their first year and by "4.5"" they are 5x3s. All deer are different. If that deer is 4.5 post up some pics of what you think are 2.5 and 3.5 years....... Check out Charles alsheimer's Book Quality deer management the Basics and Beyond it completely changed my view on hunting, judging, and growing deer and i know he did this in NY. I did his program and now Me or one of my buddies shoots a 130s or better inch deer every year. The before and after pics are pretty awesome.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

chrisvie13 yea I know all deer are different. I have 4,6 and 8pts pics of 1.5 yo. I know all 4.5 yo dont turn out to be 5x3's. This just happened to be the best comparison pics of 2 bucks in the same spot.I have another decent 8pt but it was during the velvet season and tough to judge that one. I would put him at 2.5.