Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what are your thoughts on this situation >

what are your thoughts on this situation

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what are your thoughts on this situation

Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail Cams tend to walk away

with someone on the land, when you're not there.

Things can tend to walk away, when someone on the land, knows you're not there.

Hunters put up trail cams for pictures 24-7, which corresponds with most of the time they're not there.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mortalcare
not sure that its what i suggest but i would take this very personnaly and be extremely mad. i would then set up myself not far from where you think their going on your land and waiting for someone to come. just like hunting deer it would take awhile but if they are frequenting your spot like you make it sound i would bet that you would be able to spot them after a lil. then i would put the fear of god in them
well the neighbors land is just a small peice of woods 10 acres. the problem is the stand belongs to one of the guys that has permission to hunt the farm i hunt. so there is nothing i can do without catching him. which i has set up a cam in the trees and one on the tree the first got stolen from.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
If it were me, after getting over 400+ pics I think I would have enough evidence in that area to know what's out there and pull all my cam's before the rest got stolen. Someone don't like you or they don't want you to know what's out there for deer. So be it! I would also get big enough locks and chains for my stands that they would need more that bolt cutters to steal them. More like cutting torches! Eventually your going to find out who's messing with your stuff and hopefully you can straighten them out.

Good luck dude!
i get 400 pics in a 24 hour period not total. and i do know some of the deer out there most likly alot better than they do. i have 7 cams total on that farm. but you are right i most likly will pull out of the farm.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

the one guy that hunts there i went to school with and him and i have never had a problem nor has my stuff cam up missing around him before. the stand just across the property line belongs to another guy that hunts the same farm i do and he told my buddy he was going to hunt it on thursday. he would have walked across the feild (whr the cam was) and seen it easily. it is odd that there is a cam in front of his stand that can be seen from where mine was but his isnt missing. i have heard that he does some iffy things.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you discussed this with the landowner/permission giver? A person needs to be on the up and up with the landowner. Mine knows everything that I have and do on his land. And he's even told me to let him know if anything is disturbed and HE will do something. He also has a couple other guys that have permission and we've sectioned off who hunts where and who stays out of where. Just 2 weeks ago the neighbor property owner asked him if anyone was on his land because he got a cam stolen. I got a call from my landowner asking me if I knew anything. So I know he's good on his word. As for missing pics, its a possibility someone is erasing some but it is also a possibility that the deer may get spooked out of the area for a day. I have days of missing pics in good areas all the time.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Spike

I use reconyx cameras and when I pull the cards out and check them on my computer the little icon says "Reconyx". Last fall when I was guiding in Illinois I had one of my cameras near the property line (about 50 yards off but on my side) and this camera had thousands of pics in a few days time for weeks. I went out one day to check on it and it when I plugged the card in the icon said "gamespy". And I had about 1800 pics less than usual with some gaps in between pics. Like I would have a pic of a random doe in the center of the shot with no pics of her leading up to it. And then a couple pics of her standing around and looking back then none of her leaving. Reconyx takes a pic every .8 seconds and I never miss anything so I knew someone had checked my card and deleted pics of bucks showing up on it. Needless to say I moved that camera a little farther down into the property and kept a closer eye on it. I'd be pissed beyond belief if someone stole my $500 camera. I worked my ass off to afford these things. I know every other guy in the woods works hard to buy stands and cameras so stealing someone's stuff is so damn wrong and stupid. I've even found cameras on my land and stands and have taken them down and posted a note on the tree that I found their stuff on my property and I took them down and left my number for them to call me and I'd return them with no hard feelings. Mistakes happen and everyone crosses a property line by accident once and awhile. Every guy who's called looking for their stuff thanked me for not stealing their stuff and for being so nice about them being on my land. Hell a few times it was even neighboring guides that made the mistake and we ended up meeting for coffee and bfast every morning after dropping clients off in the woods! Lol
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd pull one and put it about 15 feet in the air facing the camera that should be having more pictures. Leave it up there for a couple weeks then check it. If someone is opening your trail cam you should be able to tell who it is and you can deal with it how you seem fit. I'm sure its someone you know so you shouldn't need a front shot. A side shot from 35 feet away should do the trick.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Spike

lock them up. I had 1 stolen on my property and now I lock them all up. not that they cant cut them but at least make them work for them for crying out loud. good luck

Last edited by Claude485; 10-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mottz
Have you discussed this with the landowner/permission giver? A person needs to be on the up and up with the landowner. Mine knows everything that I have and do on his land. And he's even told me to let him know if anything is disturbed and HE will do something. He also has a couple other guys that have permission and we've sectioned off who hunts where and who stays out of where. Just 2 weeks ago the neighbor property owner asked him if anyone was on his land because he got a cam stolen. I got a call from my landowner asking me if I knew anything. So I know he's good on his word. As for missing pics, its a possibility someone is erasing some but it is also a possibility that the deer may get spooked out of the area for a day. I have days of missing pics in good areas all the time.
yeah the landowner knows everything that goes on. yes the deer get spooky but it doesnt stop them from using the same area every night. even with the hunting i was getting pics every 24 hr period of deer and birds and other critters then just missing all pics not just deer for 10-04. it doesnt matter i pulled all cams off that farm a couple days ago. i got pics from 10-06 of a guy deliberatly walking on my corn piles and walking back and forth around them. h ad the cam mounted just a bit low so it cut off his head so i can not see his face but i do know what his bow and arrows look like.