Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

caught with your pants down?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default caught with your pants down?

I will tell you mine. (from long time ago)
Was up in the loggy bayou in a tree where many a deer had fallen to my 870. Twas a kinda foggy day and nothing was moving except squirrels. I got tired of looking at em. I kept hearing one behind me.
When I finally turned to look, lo and behold! The biggest buck I have even seen in the woods is not 12 feet away off to my right rear.
I am right handed so I was sitting with the shotgun in lap pointing to the left. My scent pool had to have drifted down because the buck is on full alert because he has a nose full but cant figure on out where it is coming from. My mind is racing. I want this buck so bad. It is my dream buck. I am sure if I stand up, the stand is going to make a noise and he will bolt. He is on the wrong side of the tree for the way I have my gun pointed. I am afraid to swing the gun over and shoot him one handed because the gun kicks so much I am afraid I will break my wrist if I try that. The buck is ready to bolt any second so I figure when he turns to run, I will stand up and swing around and get a shot at him. He turns and runs, I stand and try to get him in the scope but this buck is not running straight he is zigging and zagging. He stops broadside and looks back. He looks to far away so I don't shoot because I don't want to wound such a
magnificent animal. I watch him walk over a ridge. I am on high alert now. A little while later a buck and doe come by and I am ready for them. Drop them both. Climb down out of the tree and walk over to see how far it was away that the big buck had stopped. 75 paces!!!
Two big mistakes cost me the buck of a lifetime. I let my guard down and then got huge case of buck fever that stopped me from pulling the trigger on that buck.

Last edited by Oneofthesedays; 10-09-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh a hunting story. OK

I thought I was going to be confronted again about a woman I was "close friends with" who told me she wasn't married....
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I thought it was about pooping in the woods..

Been caught, many times....

Just pull my hat down over my eyes and keep on mashin.....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it was pooping in the woods too. When I was younger I shot more than one rabbit with, shall we say, my zipper down. A have a one handed shot on one that I am still proud of! My dad shot his biggest Mule deer with his zipper down in Wyoming. With a couple minutes to stare in front of him he caught an antler 50 yards away. He would have never seen it if mother nature didn't call.