HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what are your thoughts on this situation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/373532-what-your-thoughts-situation.html)

snapper1982 10-06-2012 06:47 AM

what are your thoughts on this situation

got home yesterday morning from illinois and went to check trail cams. have one missing and several that are missing whole days(meaning i got pic on 10-03 and then on 10-05 but not 10-04) and these ca,s are set up in places i get pics every day. there are 5 other people hunting this farm (yes the deer movement has slowed but still getting 400 pics every 24 hours) and i have pics of people on several cams. i called a buddy told him about the missing cam. he asked his buddy (who hunts there). called me back and told me his buddies son hunted the back ladder stand and saw the cam i have 25 yds away from it(you have to walk in front of it to get to the stand) but there was only 21 pics for a 5 day sit on it and none of the kid. i am convinced someone is checking my cams and deleting select pics. the missing cam was 30 yds from a treestand on the neighboring property and i could see a cam set up now 10 yds infront of the stand. with binocs i saw it was the same cam style that is missing so i went to look at it (it is not mine but exact same name and style) i am convinced who ever hunts that stand took the cam because my cam 50yds away next to my stand is still there and so is the cam 150 yds in the other direction. all 3 are set along the same fence line.

jrbsr 10-06-2012 07:02 AM

Do you have a lock, and cable/chain on them?
My first trail camera got stolen.
I put a lock, and cable on the next one, and it hasn't got stolen, so far.
I also put my name inside with a sharpie pen so I can identify it if it got stolen.
I also write down the serial #, and keep it with me.
I hope this helps.

snapper1982 10-06-2012 07:28 AM

nope i do not lock anything. after having literally dozens of stands and cams stolen with cable locks it is a waste of extra money. locks are for honest people. if someone wnts a stand or cam they will come back with a cutter and get it. i can identify it that isnt a problem. i guess what i am really wanting to know is. do you find it odd that i have cams tat are missing whole days of pics and that my cam got stolen but standing exactly where it was set you can see the tree stand across the fence and right in front of that stand is a cam that obviously was not stolen

mortalcare 10-06-2012 12:32 PM

not sure that its what i suggest but i would take this very personnaly and be extremely mad. i would then set up myself not far from where you think their going on your land and waiting for someone to come. just like hunting deer it would take awhile but if they are frequenting your spot like you make it sound i would bet that you would be able to spot them after a lil. then i would put the fear of god in them :devil:

7MMXBOLT 10-06-2012 01:03 PM

If it were me, after getting over 400+ pics I think I would have enough evidence in that area to know what's out there and pull all my cam's before the rest got stolen. Someone don't like you or they don't want you to know what's out there for deer. So be it! I would also get big enough locks and chains for my stands that they would need more that bolt cutters to steal them. More like cutting torches! Eventually your going to find out who's messing with your stuff and hopefully you can straighten them out.

Good luck dude!

WNYhunter 10-06-2012 04:07 PM

lock them up. I had 1 stolen on my property and now I lock them all up. not that they cant cut them but at least make them work for them for crying out loud. good luck

PREDATE 10-06-2012 04:13 PM

I would hold court!!
Gather the persons that have permission to access the farm and set up ground rules. Let them know that theft is lazy and illegal(and is also grounds for a severe whoopin')!!!
You could organize a sign-in sheet that must be signed before anyone enters the property with dates, times, and stands used.
A simple mass email would suffice. Chances are these guys will go for it, because it will also prevent 3-4 guys all showing up to hunt the same stand!!!
You probably won't see that cam again(until you put the fear of God into them)!!!
Good luck

golfpro261 10-06-2012 07:15 PM

Spend the 20/50 bucks on some small spy camera and conceal it. They make some small cameras these days.

NebBuckHunter 10-06-2012 09:04 PM

I'm betting someone you know, knows where that camera now calls home...

bookfire1238 10-07-2012 12:10 AM

Hmmmm ... I'm going to have to think about that one