Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

Old 09-12-2003, 12:34 PM

Default HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

HEY I WAS WONDERIN' IF ANYBODY HAD ANY KIND OF DEER ATTRACTANT THAT THEY MAKE AT HOME? ONE TIME SOMEBODY TOLD ME HOW TO MAKE A DEER LICK THAT YOU HANG FROM A TREE, IT WAS A KIND OF HARDENED SUGAR LICK. I ALSO HEARD ABOUT PUTTING PEANUT BUTTER ON THE INSIDE OF A COFFEE CAN AND HANGING IT UPSIDE DOWN FROM A TREE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS? I WOULD APPRECIATE THEM!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:39 PM

Default RE: HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

Instead of wasting so much money on small salt blocks, go to a feed mill or other farm store and buy a molasses tub, never tried it, but hell you can get 100 of molasses for as much as a 15lb salt block.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Take a burlap sack and place about two dozen cut up apples in it . Use a rope and hang it up from a tree branch where it will be about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. When the deer find it the apples will become expensive.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:46 PM

I personally have never tried it but have heard that for peanut butter all you need to do is take off the lid and nail it to the tree then screw the jar back on and cut a hole in the bottom of the jar I don' t know if Jiff or Skippy works best
Old 09-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Here are some that I use and they work GREAT!! I hope they help. -- CDH

Homemade Mineral Lick

Go to your local feed store and buy (1) 50lb bag of granulized dicalcium phosphate, (2) 50lb bags of trace mineral salt, and (1) 50lb bag of rock salt. Using a 32oz cup mix 1-cup dicalcium phosphate 2-cups trace mineral salt and 1-cup rock salt (ice cream salt) into 5-gallon bucket. Rake leaves and other debris out of the way in a 6ft circle then add mix evenly over the circle. Try to find a moist area or slowly mix in 5 gallons of water for best results as moisture helps work the minerals into the ground. Slightly rake back over mix and then leave alone. Deer will actually eat the dirt when they find it. You will need to freshen the lick twice a year. I suggest refreshing it in the early spring and then again in July. This is the majority of what' s in the 30-06 mineral blend. Cost is about $30.00 for 200 lbs. versus $24.95 for 20 lbs. of 30-06 Mineral Supplement. If you want to the deer to find it quicker, you might want to mix in (1) 50lb bag of dried Cane Molasses. Check your local game laws about creating your own salt lick.

Make your own molasses drip

Cut up some apples about the size of quarters and mix real well with syrup or molasses. You can also process the mixture in a food processor. Place the contents in a Ziploc bag. When at your hunting spot and pore the apples and syrup into a sock or pantyhose and tie it to a tree. Make sure you clear a 3-foot area under it. The syrup or molasses will soak through the sock or pantyhose and slowly drip to the ground. Deer will smell it a long ways away and come to the spot and lick it. I have watched deer literally tear the mixture out the tree. You will be surprised how well this works and it is a lot cheaper than buying a drip. Before you do this make sure it' s ok to bait deer in your area.

Peanut Butter Attractant
Find a tree a little ways from your hunting stand. Nail a hole threw a peanut butter lid and cut the bottom out of the plastic jar. Nail the lid to the tree (make sure it is accessible and that the deer can reach it easily), screw the peanut butter jar to the lid. The deer should come and lick the peanut butter from the jar. You need to do this a little while before hunting season as the deer will need to find it and get used to it being there. Make sure you replace it when need be and you can also cut length off the jar as the deer eat the peanut butter. Make sure it is legal to bait deer in your area first.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas wait until it' s cold to try the peanut butter trick or all you will get is ants,trust me I know!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amen Fldeerman, there are a lot of folks that don' t have fireants....yet. That' s all I got with my peanut butter also.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:55 PM

Ok, I am new to the baitng scene. Where do you set these up. I am confused. Do you set them up on a scape lne or jsut near your climbing stand. Or is this supposed to be a spot you sit near and just hunt the molasses drip or the mineral lick.... PLease let me know how you all hunt with these methods
thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, .308, I personally do not condone hunting over bait (plus it' s illegal here in PA). To each is own though. I only put out salt blocks in my back yard so that I can enjoy watching deer from my back door, not hunt them.

I have had great luck with the homemade mineral lick method mentioned by Carolina. The deer have a huge hole dug in the dirt where I had placed the salt.

Good Luck
-BJ

Quick Reply: HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.