HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 08:29 PM
CarolinaDeerHunter

Default RE: HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

Here are some that I use and they work GREAT!! I hope they help. -- CDH

Homemade Mineral Lick

Go to your local feed store and buy (1) 50lb bag of granulized dicalcium phosphate, (2) 50lb bags of trace mineral salt, and (1) 50lb bag of rock salt. Using a 32oz cup mix 1-cup dicalcium phosphate 2-cups trace mineral salt and 1-cup rock salt (ice cream salt) into 5-gallon bucket. Rake leaves and other debris out of the way in a 6ft circle then add mix evenly over the circle. Try to find a moist area or slowly mix in 5 gallons of water for best results as moisture helps work the minerals into the ground. Slightly rake back over mix and then leave alone. Deer will actually eat the dirt when they find it. You will need to freshen the lick twice a year. I suggest refreshing it in the early spring and then again in July. This is the majority of what' s in the 30-06 mineral blend. Cost is about $30.00 for 200 lbs. versus $24.95 for 20 lbs. of 30-06 Mineral Supplement. If you want to the deer to find it quicker, you might want to mix in (1) 50lb bag of dried Cane Molasses. Check your local game laws about creating your own salt lick.

Make your own molasses drip

Cut up some apples about the size of quarters and mix real well with syrup or molasses. You can also process the mixture in a food processor. Place the contents in a Ziploc bag. When at your hunting spot and pore the apples and syrup into a sock or pantyhose and tie it to a tree. Make sure you clear a 3-foot area under it. The syrup or molasses will soak through the sock or pantyhose and slowly drip to the ground. Deer will smell it a long ways away and come to the spot and lick it. I have watched deer literally tear the mixture out the tree. You will be surprised how well this works and it is a lot cheaper than buying a drip. Before you do this make sure it' s ok to bait deer in your area.

Peanut Butter Attractant
Find a tree a little ways from your hunting stand. Nail a hole threw a peanut butter lid and cut the bottom out of the plastic jar. Nail the lid to the tree (make sure it is accessible and that the deer can reach it easily), screw the peanut butter jar to the lid. The deer should come and lick the peanut butter from the jar. You need to do this a little while before hunting season as the deer will need to find it and get used to it being there. Make sure you replace it when need be and you can also cut length off the jar as the deer eat the peanut butter. Make sure it is legal to bait deer in your area first.