Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HOMEMADE DEER MIXES???

Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally do condone hunting over bait and in md its legal
Old 07-21-2015, 03:09 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I personally do condone hunting over bait and in md its legal
Boy did you see the date this was POSTED LG?

JW
Old 07-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought we were just supposed to go with the flow and not mention it when someone brings up an oldie, LOL!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Shouldn't it really be called watching over bait instead of hunting over bait?

Where is my dictionary so I can look up the definition of hunting?

Al
Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The mineral mix mentioned by CarolionaDeerHunter provides minerals that the deer need. The NaCl (plain salt) is not much as far as nutrition, but attracts the deer to the artificial lick. The DiCal provides much needed minerals, especially for lactating does. You can also add a high calcium "dairy" mineral to the mix. The guys I hunt with try to keep the licks we have set up with no more than 25% NaCl. Another way to set up a lick is to pour the mix over a stump. We put out about 2000#/year of such a mix. Over the years, one of the lick areas has been dug out 8'' or so in diameter and 3' - 4' deep. Frankly, I have seen deer using only one of the 12 or so licks we have made and only one time, but all have b een used heavily. Lots of trail cameral photos .... almost all nocturnal.

My cousin tried the peanut butter jar trick. Unknowingly, I just happened to be sitting near where he had set one. About dark I heard a bunch of commotion of to my left. It was a a raccoon working on getting that jar off the tree. It did and off into the woods it ran, carrying the peanut butter jar with him. He told me that everyone he had set out was gone. I figure word must have gotten out in the raccoon community ---- free Skippy for the taking !

The group I hunt with does not put out loose feed .... such as deer pellets or shell corn. Instead we plant about 35 acres of food plots, year round.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Spike

Cut the bottom off of a peanut butter jar. (Leaving the peanut butter pretty much full). Take the lid and nail/screw it to a tree and screw the container back on it. My dad used that trick for years before he passed. And I will do it for years to come.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default Peanut Butter

Originally Posted by Texas_Trigger
HEY I WAS WONDERIN' IF ANYBODY HAD ANY KIND OF DEER ATTRACTANT THAT THEY MAKE AT HOME? ONE TIME SOMEBODY TOLD ME HOW TO MAKE A DEER LICK THAT YOU HANG FROM A TREE, IT WAS A KIND OF HARDENED SUGAR LICK. I ALSO HEARD ABOUT PUTTING PEANUT BUTTER ON THE INSIDE OF A COFFEE CAN AND HANGING IT UPSIDE DOWN FROM A TREE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS? I WOULD APPRECIATE THEM!!!
If you remove the lid from the peanut butter screw it to the tree cut the bottom off the peanut butter and screw it on to the lid the deer will go nuts over it. Then all you have to do is swap out the jar when its gone
Old 10-26-2021, 09:15 PM
Spike

I had a friend who made the best deer lure I've ever used. He made it and sold it to only his friends. It was absolute dynamite. Unfortunately he can't hunt anymore. Maybe he'd give me his secret recipe if anyone here is interested.

Last edited by Popgunshooter; 10-26-2021 at 09:18 PM.