Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

The 3 best whitetail mixes?

Old 01-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The 3 best whitetail mixes?

Just curious what you al feel are the 3 best food plot mixes for whitetails on the market today?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: The 3 best whitetail mixes?

Ill put my vote in for Biologic premium perenial. Ive had great results with this product.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

The best mix ix the mix that will grow on you soil and give the nutrient needed. If you buy one of the highly targeted clover blends but do not have the soil or the equipment needed to bring the soil to the needed parameters for the plant to germinate and thrive then the seed does you no good. Clover and alfalfa are the meat and potatoes of the food plot arena. They are available from green up until frost.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:59 AM

Lunchbucket is right, clover and alfalfa are the best and last good amount of time. If you want something that supplies food year round you have to plant a variety of things including things that last the winter in your area and the heat of summer.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only used prepared seeds a few times - The one I liked the best was Imperial Whitetail clover - The deer just love that Giant Ladino - if you can get the soil right.

I will say though that I preffer locally offered seed sources for Clovers - for cost and proven performance by local farmers. - Ask your local co-op what White clovers are best in your area - and cost effective - if you haven't yet done so - you might be surprised by the cost.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto farm hunter

well said, I agree about the clovers - I think they can work just as good as the name-brand mixes and cost much less.
make sure you soil test and make ammendments - clovers will do fine in low to mid 6 pH, much more tolerant and persistent than alfalfa
Old 02-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

the 3 best food plot mixes for whitetails on the market
NONE, there is no such product available

That is like asking a bunch of farmers "what is the best crop I can plant to make money?"

Farm Hunter and doughboy are pointing the right direction. Each hunter planting a foodplot needs to analyze there own situation. What equiptment is available to prep, plant, and maintain the plot? What does the soil need to plant what? How much time and money do I have to prep, plant, and maintain what? Will this be a spring plot, summer plot, hunting plot, winter plot? What is the 5 year plan for weed control, replanting, plot rotations? After considering all this then it's time to attempt to pick a seed to plant.

As for mixes ... Spending $4-$5 a pound for a mix of 6-8 different seeds each with different requirements hoping that 1-3 of them might grow OK is actually a waste. Think like a farmer, based on all your resources ... what can you to grow well? Buy the one or two types of individual seeds you need locally, and use your available resources to do what you can ... well. JMHO