Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
rifled slugs for a rifled barrel? >

rifled slugs for a rifled barrel?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rifled slugs for a rifled barrel?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default rifled slugs for a rifled barrel?

i was told yesterday that shooting rifled slugs out of a slug gun that has a rifled barrel is the worst thing you could do if that is true then what types of slugs should i buy for my shotgun (mossberg 500 slug gun rifled barrel)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It won't hurt your barrel to shoot "rifled" slugs. The powder charge will upset them to fill the bore. The saboted slugs will just shoot much better. Try several brands to see what works best.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

rifle slugs are made for smooth bore barrels, they will foul the rifling on a rifle barrel, you want to use a sabot type slug, Lightfield EXP seem to work well in most shotguns, but also you want to test a few brands
Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, if you've fired rifled slugs out of your rifled barrel, please do yourself a favor and give that barrel a massive, massive cleaning. You need to be shooting sabot slugs.

Shooting a slug gun isn't cheap to begin with. Finding a saboted slug that shoots well out of your gun is downright painful...on both the wallet and the shoulder. I'd start with the Lightfields in hopes that they shoot well out of your gun, because they are downright devastating. I had a Marlin 512 Slugmaster, and I tried Lightfield EXPs, Federal Fusions, Hornady SSTs (have read horror stories about their terminal performance), Winchester Supreme Elites, and none of them grouped to my satisfaction. About to give up, I tried the Remington Premier Accutips and they shot like gold in my gun. 1.5" groups at 100 yards using iron sights.

All that to say, I hope you find a round that your gun likes sooner than later.

Will you be using a scope? If so, make sure you've got that thing installed properly and it is holding steady. It would be the worst to go through slug after slug only to find out that your scope was the culprit.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto these responders 100%.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just clean your barrel regularly and there shouldn't be any issue. Visit the Brenneke website. There you will find some slug offerings and advice from the people who have been making and developing slugs for well over 100 years. They indicate rifled slugs in giggled barrels are fine.

And for the record, different firearms/barrels shoot different slugs better than others. There is no way to determine that any particular slug gun will shoot a particular slug better than any other slugs without trying the slugs in your gun for yourself.

Different slugs, shooting at different velocities can have very dramatic variations in accuracy shooting through barrels of different twist rates.

I would take advice offered and use it as a starting baseline for your own accuracy evaluations.

Hope I helped you in the right direction and wish you the best in finding what works best for YOU in YOUR slug gun. After my own evaluations I know what works best in my slug guns. I don't even think About trying any of the newest latest and greatest slug offerings because I've been there and done that. Find what works for you in your gun and stick with it

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always recommend Brenneke KO Sabots. These are not the standard KO they offer, these are Sabot slugs. The 2.75" 12 Ga is 1 oz, 63 caliber at 1650 fps. Accurate, does a job on deer and cheaper than most sabots out there these days.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

IMHO, if you are trying different sabotted slugs, make sure you try different muzzle velocities. In my experience, that seems to make a huge difference. I had no luck with the SST's and other faster sabots, ended up with copper solids.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

blah , blah , blah , I have been shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel for about 15 years . No problem . Winchester and Federal slugs .
When you shoot your sabots , don't forget to clean the plastic fouling .
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

every one else has said pretty much all you need to know i have that same gun and i have used slugs and sabots the only differnce is the sabots are more acurate at long ranges like 100+yds but sabots are 10 dollars more a box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.