HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - rifled slugs for a rifled barrel?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, if you've fired rifled slugs out of your rifled barrel, please do yourself a favor and give that barrel a massive, massive cleaning. You need to be shooting sabot slugs.

Shooting a slug gun isn't cheap to begin with. Finding a saboted slug that shoots well out of your gun is downright painful...on both the wallet and the shoulder. I'd start with the Lightfields in hopes that they shoot well out of your gun, because they are downright devastating. I had a Marlin 512 Slugmaster, and I tried Lightfield EXPs, Federal Fusions, Hornady SSTs (have read horror stories about their terminal performance), Winchester Supreme Elites, and none of them grouped to my satisfaction. About to give up, I tried the Remington Premier Accutips and they shot like gold in my gun. 1.5" groups at 100 yards using iron sights.

All that to say, I hope you find a round that your gun likes sooner than later.

Will you be using a scope? If so, make sure you've got that thing installed properly and it is holding steady. It would be the worst to go through slug after slug only to find out that your scope was the culprit.

Good luck!