Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer feed all night long?

Old 09-07-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Do deer feed all night long?

I was wondering what a typical day and night of a deer is like regarding their movements. I know they bed typically during the mid day and go out to feed at night. But from when they go out to feed at night to when I get to my stand at 4AM, what will the deer typically be doing?
Old 09-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do deer feed all night long?

PARTYING THE JOINT IS ROCKING ALL NIGHT LONG
Old 09-07-2003, 06:41 PM

As I understand it, they don' t really go nocturnal unless pressured to do so (people walking around in the woods trying to kill them). I' ve been driving in the countryside here in western NY at 10 or 11 at night w/ a bright full moon and seen entire herds out feeding in the bean fields. Unpressured like they are right now, I see them feeding right in the middle of the day. Yesterday I saw a big doe by the highway standing on the top of a huge pile of top soil at a construction site (sticking it' s tongue out).
Old 09-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in central Minnesota, the play/eat most of the night. Activity levels are high right before dark through the night, and end early in the morning. My 300 - 350 deer camera photos from the past two years cofirm this also!

Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see deer feeding at all times of the day here , but the bigger share of the activity is at night . As other have said they do go nocturnal if they are pressured and feed mostly at night , but I believe they will feed when they are hunger even with people all around them. . I was grouse hunting today and we saw at least twenty deer feeding in the middle of the day and there were people all over the place .
Old 09-08-2003, 04:01 PM

only on Sundays after an evening mass, the rest of the week the woods and farm fields are only open from 11pm till 3am
Old 09-08-2003, 06:11 PM

yes they feed at night. But they also bed alot at night. To eat they have to bed. So on and off they feed move a bit, bed down, chew their cud and so on.

now bucks in rut may not eat much at all - and they will be on the move looking for does.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:20 AM

i have put out bait parked my truck and watched deer feed all night long
Old 09-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are crepuscular (sp)..(now that' s a big word)...meaning these animals are active at twilight. Deer who have been bedded part/most of the day wil begin to feed late in the afternoon. Once darkness has overtaken the woods, these deer may head to an apple orchard, a farmer' s field, or wherever they find their food source. They will feed and move and even bed for some time. It' s basically their time to do whatever they want. Once dawn approached, these deer will begin to feed as they move to the areas where they feel safe to bed down for part or most of the day.