Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting for Deer.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:30 PM

Default RE: Baiting for Deer.

What Wash said. You just won this debate...to think, after all the years this argument has been going on, it was just won with a simple post on a message board. Nub also hit the biggest nail on the head with the spreading of bovine TB and CWD.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:17 PM

I didn' t think that science had yet uncovered for sure the ways and methods that CWD was spread?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad we can' t bait in Minnesota! Someone commented that baiting is no different than hunting on a food plot or cornfeild......I' m sorry but it is alittle differant. When you put out bait you create a specific spot to hunt, the deer must go right to that spot and you know right where you' re going to shoot this deer, I front of the pile!!! Hunting over hundreds of acres of cornfeilds or 10 acre food plots you don' t have specific spots, the deer can come out anywhere, you could put up 60 deer stands and the deer could still eat somewhere else. Deer would also rather eat from a pile of shelled corn then messing with it on the stalk or searching all over for left over pieces. Don' t get me wrong....if baitings legal, go ahead. If you' re after nothing but venison, sounds like a good idea. If you' re after a trophy, I' d rather intercept it in its one of its daily routines!!

Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:45 AM

I hunt in Oklahoma and Texas; baiting is legal in Texas and illegal in Oklahoma. In Oklahoma I hunt food plots; in Texas I hunt feeders. I have had much more success on food plots. It is a larger clearing to spot game and a larger food source that will attract more animals. If I could figure out how to get a food plot to grow in the Southwest Texas Desert I would sure put one in on my Texas lease. I guess I would also have to get the landowner' s permission to clear a few acres of brush because there wouldn' t be enough space on the natural senderos.

As far as NUB calling you a moron: you' ve got to consider the source. Anyone who drops to that level on this type of forum is probably just another " internet tough guy" with keyboard courage.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:21 AM

You are trying to base what I do on my lease to what the conditions are were you hunt. Not very realistic.

I hunt on the Edwards county/Kinney county bourder about 60miles north of Uvalde (as the crow flies). I don' t care how green your thumb is you are not going to get anything to grow there. First it is mostly rock, no plow will brake this land. Second, it gets less than 10 inches of rain a year. This land was settled by imagrants loong ago, if anything would grow they would have done it. There are no planted fields.

You bring up the scare tactic words TB and CWD. I will bet your favorite beer more deer have died in the past 10 yrs from anthrax than have ever died from TB and CWD combined. It is similar to the SARS outbrake last year. More people in North America died from the flu than SARS. Only one has a scary conotation, the unknown.

What causes anthrax outbrake? Noone knows for sure, the most likely explanation I have heard is the anthrax is always in the ground. All the ranchers in the area raise goats (nothing else will live). The goats eat the deers brows. This forces the deer to find food on the ground were the anthrax is. In the last 2 years, my lease and the area around it has lost 90% of the deer. Suplimental feeding may have been what saved the 10% by keeping them from migrating to the infected areas.

I don' t hunt were you hunt. You don' t hunt were I hunt. Don' t judge me until you walk in my shoes. I will show you the same respect.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well first of all it is not legal in Va., second if it was I wouldn' t bother.

Why, well it has nothing to do with personal ethics, I have no problem with legal baiting, let them hunt them bait piles till the cows come home, if they are happy with dink bucks and does, cool!

I have read to many studies where baiting is legal that proves that older does and mature bucks will not feed off a bait pile except at night.

My personal preference is to outsmart the deer and kill them, not feed them and kill them.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

This is not what I call a dink Don' t believe everything you read.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I think there is a difference between feeding and baiting. If you feed year around that is different than placing a pile of corn within shooting distance of your stand. I feed as the pic above shows but I do not allow hunting over or near the feeders. I want the deer to feel confortable at the feeder. I have the feeders fenced off and there is no hunting allowed inside this fenced area.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:11 PM

What are some of your opinions?
I thought I simply offered mine in a polite manner. Sorry I did not give you the answer you where looking for.

Rack-Attack, this is only one honey hole on 1100 acres. Not to mention 2 other locations. I' m sorry, how long did you say that you have been hunting?

This is my first year - but I learn quick

Good luck
Old 09-08-2003, 12:23 PM

Hey Pluto,
My lease is about 70 miles west of you as a crow flies. I am 35 miles north of Del Rio on 277. How does yours look this year? I was out at mine this weekend for dove and it was green and lush. Nobody in the area can ever remember having this much rain. I guess it was good for the quail because I saw several coveys; I' m hoping it will have a positive effect on the size of the deer.

Quick Reply: Baiting for Deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.