Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Let' s share some hunting stories! >

Let' s share some hunting stories!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let' s share some hunting stories!

Old 09-08-2003, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Let' s share some hunting stories!

This hunt happened in the season of 2001. I had seen a few deer that year, but hadn' t had a shot at a big buck. When the last week of the season rolled around, the weather turned unseasonably warm, making things all the more difficult. My cousin was visiting from CT for his seasonal hunting trip. I had been scouting and hunting a new area which seemed to hold at least three big bucks. My priority was to get him in position to shoot a buck, since he has yet to shoot his first deer.
The problem was, I would found out where the deer were hanging out, and when I would send him into the area the next day they had already moved on. Now it was the last day and all of the snow had melted away, making tracking quite difficult.

He and I and his other cousin Stuart drove out to the area before first light, listening to " Thirty Point Buck" by Da Yoopers over and over. I joked around about how I was going to get " da turty pointer" that day. My cousin had discovered a spot he wanted to hunt the day before, so we dropped him off and drove down the road to the other side of the block of woods, about 2 miles away.
Stuart had already taken a 6 pointer the previous week, so he was along to hunt birds and assist us if we needed help dragging.

The conditions were far from perfect! The warm weather had kept getting warmer even though this was towards the end of November. I still hunted the opposite side of the same block of woods my cousin was hunting. I had seen loads of fresh sign here two days before, but now it seemed the deer had all vanished.

I walked back to the vehicle to find Stuart taking a nap, so I woke him up and had him drop me off at the end of the road. A grownover cut bordered the road, and at the lower edge of it was a brook lined with thick cedar and beaver ponds. My plan was to hunt towards a knob on the other side of the brook and find a good place to sit for the rest of the day. I had been eyeballing the spot all season, but had held off hunting it. I figured it would be a likely place for the deer to go to escape hunting pressure.

At this point (mid day) the day had warmed up so much that I was hunting in a T-shirt and jeans, with just my required blaze orange vest and hat. I hadn' t gone more than 50 yards when I started seeing numerous rubs, scrapes and droppings. I got excited, and started hunting even more slowly, paying close attention to my surroundings. I searched for a good place to sit where I could see more than 10 yards. I found a good spot in the corner of the cut where there was an intersection of well-used deer trails. I sat and called for a while, then waited absolutely motionless. About 30 minutes later I heard footsteps. My heart skipped a beat as I listened more closely. The footsteps grew closer, and sounded like a heavy animal, but I couldn' t yet see it since it was coming from just over a small rise. Then I saw the tips of tines, and a big buck stepped up over the rise 20 feet in front of me! I brought my gun up quickly as he turned his head to smell a bush, offering me a good quartering-to shot. I fired and the buck hit the ground instantly. Then I made what would turn out to be a huge mistake......I jacked another round into my gun. The buck jumped up and went crashing into the thick brush.....I followed him with my scope but never had another clear shot. I was also hesitant to shoot since I was sure my first shot had been good. I heard a loud crash and then silence. He was down! I waited about a half hour and then went to look for the blood trail. I searched the area where he had been when I shot and found no blood at all......confused, I did a quick sweep of the area, and finding nothing I went back to get help.

I came back about an hour later with the other two, and we searched until dark without even finding a speck of blood. I was pretty dissapointed at this point, but was still certain that the deer was dead. I called the game warden that night and explained the situation, and he said we could go look for the deer the next day as long as we didn' t bring guns since the season was over and it was also a Sunday.

The next day I came back with two of my hunting buddies and we searched all day long, using a " grid" type search pattern to cover as much of the area as possible. It was just about dark when one of my partners, who had been sitting on a log resting, yelled " I found it!!" I ran over to where he was and there was my buck, laying in a thicket and completely covered over by the low boughs of a spruce. It was a nice 8 pointer. We dressed him out and drug it to the vehicle, then drove to the tagging station. The buck dressed out at 205 pounds....not bad for late in the season! Later when we butchered the deer we found out why there had been no blood trail - The bullet had hit high up, blowing out the lungs and traveling diagonally through the body until lodging in the right rear hindquarter. A high entrance point and no exit wound left no blood, even where the deer laid down to expire.

I called the warden and told him I had found my buck.....he said to wait at the store until he called me back. 45 minutes later he had still not called, so we left and took the deer to a walk in cooler. A friend had offered to let me hang the deer there since the weather had been so warm.
That night the warden called me at home and asked why I hadn' t waited at the store. I told him I had and that he never called back. He went on to say that he needed to see the deer and I was supposed to wait at the store for him to show up. He went on and on about how he couldn' t know if I had shot the deer during the season or after. I said " I called you the night after I had shot it and you said it was no problem and that you wouldn' t need to see the deer, that I should just call and let you know if I found it" . He gave me a big speech, but finally let it go. It was upsetting that I had done the right thing by calling him in the first place, and now he was giving me a hard time over it. I felt like I was being accused of poaching.

It was a good learning experience for me. I learned that if a deer goes down right in front of you, stay still and don' t make a noise. If I had never jacked in another round the deer never would have left my sight. Also, if you can' t find a blood trail but you think you made a good shot, don' t give up! Sometimes following your gut instinct will pay off.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:39 PM

This isnt really a " good" story because I didnt take the animal but its something I' ll definitely remember.

Last year I went in on the moose hunt for the first time to help my dad unload on Sunday (he runs a camp) and then I was hunting Monday and leaving Monday night (school [:@])

Monday morning we got up and I headed to my watch. I walked down with an older guy and he stopped at the first watch and I carried on deeper into the woods. I had been on the stand for what couldnt even of been an hour and I heard a " umph" . About 2 minutes later I looked up ont he ridge and seen a younger bull moose with a decent rack coming towards me. Of course, we had no bull tag though. He carried on about his business and I watched him for about 15 minutes, didnt even know I was there. Then about half hour later the old guy came to tell me what time it was and kicked up 2 deer that almost trampled me.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:51 AM

November 19, 2001

I have hunted this spot for many years with no success. I seen deer (running bucks, and does) the sign was always there but no shot. It' s about 6:00am, I stalk my way in to my ground stand. As I get close I notice one large rub and scrape. I change my location and set up shop about 15 yds off the deer run.
The woods were very thick and this as far as I could go and still have 2 deacent shooting lanes. I am amid a group of small pine trees branches above me and to the sides. I am watching in the direction where the deer bed down at night. I have been here for almost 2 1/2 hours.
I hear some noise over my left shoulder I move my eyes to try and get a look. It sounds like a small horse walking I can hear what sounds like hoof beats. The sound is getting louder now I hear some rustling leaves. The first thing I see is the most unusual looking rack. I say to my self " It has antlers I am taking it" . He has his head down sniffing and lick as he walks. He has no idea I am about 50 ft away.
Now I have to get my gun up for the shot. He turns to the left and checks the rub which is behind a small bush. I raise my gun and held it waiting for him to get around that bush. I hear him walking again. Now he is about 20 ft away with his head down and still has no idea I am there. I tilt my head and align the cross hairs on his right front shoulder. He was so close all I saw was brown fur.When I tilted my head I must have startled him he stopped suddenly and looked at me as if to say what the heck are you.
BOOM! My .30-06 goes off. I saw him jump and turn to the left and run. Crash...crash...then silence. I waited about 15 min. As I sat shaking and thinking I got him I got him really good. I thought this is my first deer. I was so excited my heart racing, sweating and full of so much emotion. I remember it all so clearly to this day. I got up went over to the spot where he was standing and I saw alot of blood. I am going to need some help. So I walked back to the trucks.
When I got back to the trucks my hunting party was already there. They knew by that smile on my face I got one. I said to them " I have blood, and he ran towards the stream" . We get to the impact spot and start following the blood trail. We found him in about 10 min. He ran about 30 yds and crashed in a huge blow down. What a big deer everone is saying. I stood in complete shock and awe at this animal.
The drag took about 1 1/2 hours for the 6 of us to complete. The deer dressed out at 190 lbs. He was most definately a non-typical. No tines are 12" long but they have major mass. All are 2" in dia or larger. He officially scored 177 and 0/8 with 19 pts scoreable and 5 pts just under 1 inch. Another unusall featuer about his rack was the two " pockets" one on each side in the main beam. The are about 3" deep and still have some dried velvet in them. The widt at these points are over 4 inches.
He hangs proudly in my livingroom. There is not a day that goes that I don' t look and think of that great day.

*Side note* My uncle was a retired meat cutter and he did all the butchering of the deer taken from the camp. He passed away the following year. My first deer was his last. " God bless you uncle Sal"
Old 09-09-2003, 03:28 PM

Joe - Sure it' s a good story! Enjoying the woods and watching wildlife is the best part of hunting, taking an animal is just icing on the cake, Thanks for sharing!

Smokem - What an exciting hunt, that is a monster! Most people hunt all of their lives without even seeing a buck of that caliber. I know I haven' t.....hopefully will someday though. You were very lucky to take such a trophy.....and your first deer too! Congrats!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:42 AM

Okay my one of my storys about the last deer i got a few years ago

it was mid oct. bow season the rut just starting I didnt get out to morning hunt stayed up all night by the camp fire. mid day around 3:00 p.m. i went to shoot my bow just before i go out to hunt i always shoot my bow and when i went to shoot it my string busted and hit me in the eye my eye was fine but i was mad. I rushed to town to buy a new string and asked the guy at the store to put it on for me. then i had to resite my bow in lucky it was not to far off then I drove like h#11 back to camp to get ready to go out it was 6:00 only a few more hours to hunt. i got my stuff and went out to my stand as i was going out i stoped there was a nice doe on my bait pile. i crouched down hoping she did not see me i could not belive she didnt hear me coming i was so loud walking out to my stand that day.It was very windy that day. i thout man what bad luck I was having first my bow then this. i was scared to move but i knew if i didnt try and stalk closer it would be to late to hunt so i crawed up about 10 yards or so where the deer was about 20 yards away she didnt even look i could not bealve it I hunt on state land and the deer hear spook easy.I was think if i should take the shot or not there where alot of ferns in my way and i only sited in my 15 yard pin in. I had a bad season all year not seeing many deer and made up my mind to take the shot it was so windy was scard of missing the deer and thats not like me so I drew my bow put my pin a little bit high and let it go the deer ran a little then stop looked around and ran off she never snorted or any thing i went to find my arrow to see if i hit her i missed.
by now i was feeling really bad i was thinking of going back to camp after all the sound i made looking for my arrow. then i was going to just stalk down the road
and try that. but my mom was hunting down that way and didnt want to spook her deer so i just went in my stand didnt think i would see any thing and was just planing on waiting till dark and go back to camp then i heard a sound. i slowly moved my head to see what it was it was a doe not the same one this one was a little smaller it went to my bait pile and i went to draw and it heared me or something and looked at me. i was at half draw and you bow hunters know how hard it is to hold your bow at half draw try it with you heart pumping a million milles a min. the deer finly went back to eating just in time or i would of had to let my bow go then i pulled my bow to full draw the deer turn now it was kind of on a angle to me faceing away so i had to hold my bow agian then it took a step back and turn a little giving me my chance. i let my arrow go and made a heart shot it ran about 40 yards and died then i gut it and draged it back to camp.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your story with us dragonhunter! With all that bad luck it must have made the succesful outcome all that much better. Must have been tough waiting at half draw, glad you pulled it off!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:10 AM

this story is not that good didnt get the buck but wanted to tell another one

my first year of gun hunting i was with my mom it was noon we walked across a fern feild and sat next totis big swamp it was very cold that day i had a 20 gauge shot gun with slugs my mom had a 30-30 we sat there for a few hours and i was geting hungry and wanted to go back to camp my mom said just a little longer so we sat there about 20 min later i seen some thing across the swamp i use feild glasses to see what it was it was a nice 6 point buck i shooked my mom and pointed at the deer she could not see it.the deer was to far away for my gun to hit after about 10 min. of me trying to show my mom where the deer was she still did not see it so she said you shoot it.I never shot a gun with a scope on it before she said just look thou it and line up the deer and shoot it in the heart i put the gun up and looked trou the scope it was perfict the deer didnt have a clue we where there and it was just standing there broad side. i lined it up and pulled the triger and the scope hit my eye i shook off the pain and we found away into the swamp but no blood i missed

the scope gave me a black eye for 2 weeks and i said i would never shoot a scope agian
now i shoot a 7mm mag with a scope
Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I will have to decide if want to do my first deer, biggest buck or my first bow kill! I will be back, great stories so far.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:26 AM

My most memorable hunt was my first deer.

I was hunting the Southern part of NY State. Right on the Pennsylvania border. At that point I didn' t have as much patience as I do now and left my stand about 10am and headed over to where my dad was standing. I knew he had the ability to stand all day. It didn' t really occur to me that I might be ruining his hunt. As I was walking over to him, I picked up a set of human tracks that were headed in his direction. It turned out to be my older brother. So I get to dad' s spot and he and I and my brother Greg are chatting a bit. We are on a ridge, about halfway up it. Dad and Greg have leaned their shotguns against a tree, and I held mine. Suddenly Greg yells " Deer!" , " Bucks!" and I turn and look up the ridge and 15 yards away there are deer everywhere. (in reality, there were probably 5 or 6). Even though I am the only one holding a gun, I am the last one to shoot. Dad grabs Greg' s gun and shoots, Greg grabs Dad' s gun and shoots. I have no idea what they are shooting at. I only see one buck, a beautiful 8 pointer that turns and trots broadside in front of me. I don' t remember aiming. I put the gun to my shoulder and fired. I hear one more shot, and Greg yells, " he' s down" , meaning my deer. My father wonders what the heck he is talking about since the only buck he has seen is running like mad for Pennsylvania. The results? We had all seen and shot at a different buck. Greg had shot a 4 pointer and dropped it where it stood. I had shot an 8 pointer and dropped it, although I hadn' t seen it fall. Dad had shot an 8 pointer through the heart and he and Greg found it after a short track. Three nice bucks in the space of about 8 seconds. This isn' t a story of great skill or matching wits with your quarry. But just the way it happened will always stick in my memory, coupled with the fact that this was my first deer, my brother' s first buck, and as it turned out, my father' s last deer. This was thanksgiving day in 1982. I won the buckpool that day.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:13 AM

thank you Split-Hoof it did make the out come much better

and great stories all keep them coming

who needs a book when we got you fine hunters

Quick Reply: Let' s share some hunting stories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.