Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Let' s share some hunting stories! >

Let' s share some hunting stories!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let' s share some hunting stories!

Old 09-11-2003, 01:36 AM

Default RE: Let' s share some hunting stories!

This is a story not of one hunt but of a season. The year was 1994, and I had broken my back that summer, making it impossible for me to hunt with my .30-06. My father, realizing this was my first year I could hunt alone, and knowing how much I love hunting, bought me a brand new Browning .22 hornet so I would still be able to hunt. The gun was amazingly accurate, and had no recoil at all to bother my back. The only problem was the small bullet size ( I was used to shooting 180-grain .30-06.)

First week of the season - Two friends and I decide to hunt an area known to hold a good number of deer and some nice bucks. The wind was absolutely fierce that day, swaying and breaking the trees all around us. Realizing it was dangerous to even be in the woods, we threw caution to the seemingly hurricane-force wind and went huntng anyway. For whatever reason, I grabbed one clip and left my spare in the truck. I stashed some spare loose shells in my pocket and was on my way. Still-hunting along an old twitching trail, I looked through some brush to see a small 4 pointer standing there, barely more than 30 feet away. Knowing the accuracy of my gun, but not realizing a bullet so small could be deflected so easily, I put the crosshairs behind the ear and squeezed the trigger. The deer ran away at the shot, seemingly untouched. I went over to check things out and noticed where a branch had sent my bullet astray. Lesson #1 learned!

I went to jack in another shell and continue hunting, when I noticed I had grabbed a clip with only one round in it, left over from target shoting! I reached in my pocket for my spare shells, only to find a gaping hole in the fabric I had never noticed before! Lesson # 2 learned!

" Damn" , I thought as I turned around to head back to the pickup, when a beautiful white bird flew by, followed by another. Then they stopped, suspended in midair while I noticed each " bird" was attached to the body of a deer! One was a big doe, the other a monster of an 8 pointer[]. They saw me, but seemed to realize I was helpless as they stared for a while, laughed to themselves a bit and took off[:' (].

Second week of the season - I was hunting with my grandfather and other family members, when around lunch time I decided to make my way to my grandfather' s daily campfire to warm myself and eat lunch. I was going a little more carelessly than I should have, when I jumped a big buck! He didn' t go far and was obviously not sure what had spooked him, so I called with my doe bleat once to get his attention, and then once more. I sat on a log motionlessly as I waited for his reaction. To my excitement, he turned my way and came within view about 30 yards away, standing broadside. I could easily see his rack and big body, he was a beautiful 8 pointer! Taking careful aim behind the shoulder, I fired and the deer spun and took off. Moments later I heard the crash of his body hitting the ground. I waited half an hour, then went to where I had last seen the buck. I then heard crashing and sounds of a deer running as I realized I had made mistake #3 of the season[:' (]. My grandfather had heard the shot, and he came over to see who had shot. I explained what had happened, and we both searched for a blood trail, but found nothing. I searched until dark that day and was searching the next day when I came upon a hunter who said he had seen my deer, but the coyotes had eaten it down to the bones. Discouraged, I still kept searching for two days afterwards, hoping to at least find the rack. I never would find the deer.

Last day of the season - I setup in the midst of some thick cedars, totally concealing my body. I was overlooking a small field next to some beaver ponds where the deer had been recently crossing. This was my last chance to fill my tag this season. I was using my favorite call, calling about three or four times every half hour or so. I was starting to feel that sad feeling all hunters get as the season comes to a close. The events of that season played over and over in my mind, imprinting the lessons I had learned deeper into my brain. Then my thoughts were interrupted by footsteps coming from the direction of the swamp. I look over to my right, and there is a spike making it' s way right towards me! I could do nothing except sit motionless and wait, trying to not even breathe. The deer kept coming eventually passing within ten feet of me, then turning away to head out across the field. At this point I knew the limitations of my gun, and this one was NOT going to get away! Settling the crosshairs on the back of it' s skull, I pulled the trigger and dropped him in his tracks 15 feet in front of me. It is hard to describe how satisfied I was at that point and after all that had happened that year. He wasn' t one of those big 8' s, but he would be excellent eating, and at that point I don' t think a B&C buck could have made me happier!

It would be years later until the truth about the 8 pointer I had shot would become known to me. The hunter who had told me about seeing my deer ( and curiously had a very hard time directing me to it), had in fact dressed it, drug it out of the woods and tagged it as his own! I have even come into posession of a picture of my buck, hanging on his gamepole! It amazes me that some people can be so dishonest as to actually steal someone' s deer just for bragging rights. He now has a biggest bucks in Maine patch on his jacket thanks to me......the buck dressed out at 215 pounds.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:07 AM

i know how it is to find dishonest hunters mate my dad shot a spike on last day of bow season one year and we didnt find it till next day hanging in someones camp

the guy at the camp said he shot it with his gun openg day but you can tell it was a bow shot

it was not legley a buck because the antlers where not pass his ears ether in my state the antlers has to be pass the ears or its consdered a doe

we told the guy that.

he said he had a doe permit
but we new there was no doe permits in that area for 9 years been going there since i was 2

Old 09-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it was the fall of 74, cold as all get outs for Va. about 15020 degrees, my cousin Tim and I were hunting the peak of the rut in Lancaster county Va. I was sitting up against a blow down and enjoying the woods waking up around me, the deer should have been coming down an old overgrown road in front of me just inside the woods off the edge of a field, I had an excellent shooting area in front of me and was slowly scanning all of it. I heard something coming through the mountain Laurel thicket behind me and as I slowly turned and looked I was able to make out 3 doe at a slow trot coming through them, the sun had been up about an hour so the light was excellent. When I saw them come through I figured there would be a buck coming soon so I stood up slowly to turn around and wait. The laurels were really thick where they came through and I was wondering where I could get a shot off through it. Well before I had time to find a hole to shoot through, I heard another deer coming down the same trail. I rapidly looked for a shooting lane through the laurels and just as I thought I had one picked out I heard it coming closer, looking in the direction of the noise I suddenly saw the biggest rack I had ever seen on a Va. deer, that was all I saw, this huge rack just above the Laurels, it trotted about 10 steps, stopped and smelled where the doe had been. Man I started to shake like a leaf, I was about 22 and had killed plenty of deer before, but just seeing that huge rack and that was it gave me buck fever. I told myself, " Boy calm down or you are going to blow it." Well the shaking stopped and as the buck lifted its head and started to trot forward I continued to talk myself calm, I found a hole in the laurels and when he dropped his head again to smell the does I shouldered the 12 gauge and aimed for the hole, he lifted his head and just as he entered the hole he lowered his head again, perfect broadside shot, I hit the trigger twice figuring I would never get a second shot in the thick stuff. He leaped forward about 3 feet in the air and at least 15 foot forward and was gone! I jumped out into the old road praying he would cross it as I slapped two more shells into the 12 gauge. Well I waited what seemed to be an eternity, I heard some leaves rustling over where I had shot, and figured well he is not going to cross the road, maybe he is down and that is him making that noise. Well I eased my way over that way, as I almost entered the path he was on I saw him, he was down right where I had seen him jump, he raised his head one last time and took his final breath and died. He was probably the biggest racked buck I will ever take in Va. We didn' t know much about B&C, the way we scored deer was number of points, inside of the beam and from the top of his head to the upper most tine.

Well this buck had 8 points, a 21 3/4 spread on the inside of his beam and the tallest tines measured 19 1/2 from the top of his head!!! He dressed at 175 pounds. His mount burnt up in a house fire in 82, I wish now I had him scored, I would love to know what he would have scored, he was very symmetrical and had a lot of mass, his beam was as thick as my wrist! Oh well, I still have the memory.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz...Great story...sorry you lost him in the fire. Do you have any pictures of him, or did they all get lost also? If you do, I' m sure we could at least get a rough estimate of what he was. Sounds like a real good one, for sure. I scored one last season that came into my buddies butcher shop that sounds real similar to yours...and it was right at 150" ...darn good for an 8pt.

Ok, I' ll tell about my first bowkill buck ever.
It was 1989...I' d taken a couple does over the few years before...but never a buck, and I was still pretty much a rookie bowhunter. I was out in my climber hunting a funnel area at the top of a bowl. The wind was from the west and I was facing west (uphill). I got into my stand about 2:30 that evening, it was late Oct. I saw a couple does early, but out of range. Then nothing for a few hours. It was starting to get dark....and the wind layed down like it seems to do right near dark. I was watching and listening so hard. Just as it' s really starting to get dark...I hear something coming down the trail that is 20yds above me. I strain to see it, as it is about 50-60yds out. Finally I make it out...it' s a BUCK! Holy moly! I' m pumped now, and I start to get the shakes! Luckily for me, he took his sweet time moving along the trail, and it gave me time to settle down(somewhat). Finally after what seemed like an eternity, he stepped behind a big tree at 20yds. I drew. He didn' t come out...just stood there! I held and held and held. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, he stepped out but only his head and neck. It was getting dark fast and I could hardly see through my peep...I decided it was now or never. I centered it on him and released. He jumped, turned and ran down the hill right towards me and stopped directly under my stand. I could see the blood pouring like a fawcett off his neck. I was pumped! Then he slowly walked below me about 5 yds and he must have caught my wind, because the tail went up...and away he ran, straight down the mountain...full speed. I waited a few minutes, gathered my stuff and got down. I walked down the mountain about 50yds following the blood, but daylight was basically gone. So I just marked the bloodtrail, and left to go get some help, and lights. A couple hours later, a few of us returned and took up the trail. I couldn' t believe how far he ran. He went over 300yds, straight down the mountain at what looked like a dead run the whole way. I hit him through both jugulars...luck I guess. I was a rookie then, and that was a low percentage shot I probably shouldn' t have taken. Now I' d never take a neck shot, but at least it all worked out. He ended up being a 8pt with 2 of his tines broken, not a whopper but I couldn' t have been more proud! It took us 4 hours to get him out of there because of where he ran. That stunk...but I swear I could have carried him out by myself I was so pumped! It' s amazing.....it' s been 14 years and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I did an antler mount that is on my workbench today...still proud of my first bowkill buck
Old 09-11-2003, 04:23 PM

nny - what an experience that must have been, three of you getting three bucks at the same time! That will be one to tell the grandkids.

Taz - I know first hand how it feels to go through a house fire, in fact, the deer that I shot in ' 01 (story above) burned in a house fire. Lost the head and most of the meat, it was very tragic. Many items were lost that couldn' t be replaced, but thankfully no lives were lost. At least the memory of that special buck is something that can' t be taken away from you!

WV - I love hearing stories of bow kills! I am not a bowhunter yet, but I hope to be once I get another recurve (my first burned in the fire). Good to hear you made it happen, even though the shot was a risky one. Any bow kill is most definitely a trophy, and yours was a nice buck to boot!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

WV Hunter, we lost almost everything in that fire including pictures, there were a few pictures that survived in a few photo albums, but not the buck pics, I would guess he scored between 145 & 155, if I ever see one mounted that looks similar I will break out a tape measure and measure it the old fashioned way and then find out what it scored, at least I will have a ball park figure, I have been hunting for almost 40 years, 36 of them in Va. and have only seen a few bucks equal to him and 2 that were bigger. I am sure that he wasn' t a state record, but he was one heck of a deer.

Split-Hoof, you are right, even without the mount or pics, the memory is burnt into my mind permantly! I just hope to pop/stick one bigger before I head off to the hunting grounds in the sky.

If I feel like typing another long one I will tell about my first bow kill, which even though it was a doe excited me just as much as that monster buck.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz....Sorry to hear you lost so much in the fire. At least you have it burned (sorry bad pun) in your mind...and I' m sure you can see it picture perfect, even though it was so long ago.
You' re probably right in the ballpark with those numbers. Like I said, I scored one last fall, that came in to my buddy' s shop that went right at 150" . It sounded alot like your description. It was a WHOPPER for an 8pt, and especially in VA. That was the biggest buck I' ve personally seen taken around here. It came out of Madison County. I suspect he was living along the drive somewhere. He field dressed at 170. Nice buck... and the kicker...the guy who dropped him off to be butchered, told my buddy to cut the horns off[] He didn' t care about mounting any stupid deer...he just wanted some meat. LOL...ain' t that the way it goes
Old 09-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

the guy who dropped him off to be butchered, told my buddy to cut the horns off He didn' t care about mounting any stupid deer...he just wanted some meat.
Man I consider myself a meat hunter first and trophy second, but that is crazy!!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one of my favorite stories... My buddy and I were hunting in Maine and we were setup in a cedar swamp about 300-400 yds apart. Neither of us had gotten our deer yet, so we had a little side bet on who would tag first. About 9AM I heard a shot in the direction of my buddy and, a minute later, I heard another round go off. Thinking maybe by buddy had filed his tag, I took my time and slowly walked in his direction.

When I finally got there I saw my buddy but another hunter was walking up to him with his young (12 yr old) son. The young hunter told my buddy that he shot at a buck and thought he hit him, but the deer ran off. His was as excited as can be and all the while hoping that he could find his buck. The son asked my buddy why he shot. He told the young man that he saw this deer and it looked like it was hurt real bad, so my buddy told him he had to put the deer down. He then asked where was the deer and he was told it was " over there" about 40 yds away. When the boy walked to it he said..." that' s the deer I shot at" ...

When we all inspectd the deer, it was evident that the first shot did hit the deer, just grazing him under his gut. This deer certainly would have survived without any long term affects of the shot. My buddy told the young hunter that his shot was a good one and that my buddy shot him while he was down so he would not suffer any more. All evidence of blood certainly proved otherwise and the father then began to interrupt, knowing full well what had actually transpired. My buddy then told him to take a look at the smile on his son' s face.

The young man asked was this really his deer and my buddy told him absolutely and without any doubt, it was his deer. He was so happy that he finally shot his first deer and it was a buck (6 pointer about 150 pounds). The father, in a coy way, asked if my buddy was sure he wanted to stick by his story and he said of course....We all shook hands as we helped drag the boys deer back to their truck...

Many other hunters would not have done what by buddy did but he never had any regrets. There is now a man in his early 20' s that will never forget that first deer he tagged while hunting wth his Dad in the Maine woods. As far as our bet...I bought him a steak dinner and a few beer because, after all was said and done, I thought he deserved it!
Old 09-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story Jimmy! Class act move by your buddy You are right...he will never forget it!

Quick Reply: Let' s share some hunting stories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.