Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Blinds

Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Doghouse blinds are nice, but I find them nearly impossible to fold back up, so I take the blind down to a flattened state. Also, they can be tough to put up without a bit of noise. So put them up well ahead of time, as suggested. They keep you out of the weather and stop your scent nicely.

For on-the-spot blind hunting I like my portable home-made burlap blind. Camo burlap (54" wide) is stapled on to 54" 1-by-2 sticks that have pole barn spikes in the ends (with heads cut off). This is a quick, quiet, blind to put up. And you can wedge in between some evergreens and top it off with some branches over the sides and you are nearly invisible.

Last edited by MZS; 05-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

i have an ameristep and have harvested all 3 of my deer out of them with the black back. ive had deer walk two yard in front of me and not even get jumpy. my dad got this on on sale at fleet farm for $40
Old 05-15-2012, 03:59 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dejager
i have an ameristep and have harvested all 3 of my deer out of them with the black back. ive had deer walk two yard in front of me and not even get jumpy. my dad got this on on sale at fleet farm for $40
Do you set these up well in advance (days or weeks)? Do you add some additional camo like branches and such? Do you use the shoot-through material or open up the windows? I find the shoot through material can slow arrows a little and can make my carbon arrows fly very high - but once adjustments are made they can work.

Another nice feature of these blinds is that you may stand and stretch. For those with back problems that is very nice.