Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois Public Land

Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Spike

Default Illinois Public Land

Hi all,

A buddy and I are going in the lottery for deer hunting this fall in Illinois for both shotgun and archery. Does anyone know if you are able to do advanced scouting of the areas you are going to hunt and possibly hang up some trail cams? This will obviously be my first deer hunt and have looked over the hunting rules but have not been able to find anything that says you can't.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

For the most part, you can scout, but there are exceptions (one sight, for example, is a national guard training site, so access is limited at certain times). If you go to the IDNR website, there's a section with links to individual public land sites. There will be sight specific rules there. There should also be contact info, and, if in doubt, call. Here's the link:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...actSheets.aspx
I don't know about cameras, except to say that public land in Illinois tends to get crowded, and I would think the risk of theft would be high.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shawne e National forest would probably be your best bet to get an out of state tag. It covers a bunch of counties so I'd pick one that looks good and start with your research that way. Google maps is a great way to start off to pick a general area then do your scouting that way. It does get pretty crowded there during gun season so you have to be either lucky or camp at the area you want to hunt a few days before the season starts. There are some big bucks in there though. I hunted there a couple years back and scored on a 7 pt but I know that a few real nice 10's and 12's were taken by looking at a few buck poles.

I live in Northern Illinois so I did most of my scouting the day before the season and via google maps. It's tough but it is possible. Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

which county are you hunting? I have over 2500 acres in Brown and Pike County
Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

I'll be hunting in northern Illinois and west, I went to college at SIU and have been around Shawnee but am not going to make a trek down there this year. Right now I'm stuck on public land as private seems to be really expensive.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it but if you didn't but in for Shotgun tags for the first drawing you aren't going to have many options for Northern Illinois. Most public land spots are taken in Northern Illinois for Gun after the first drawing. Even if you get in for the first drawing most are pretty tough to get. There might be a few limited permits left but you are going to have some slim picks.

There are a few spots to bow hunt around northern Illinios. Its going to be tough to hang cameras though, a lot seem to "walk away". There are a lot of people that use the woods for other things and some aren't honest. A few times I've come across kids sneaking on and playing paintball so you never know who is going to be there.

If you give a few counties there are a few people on here that might be able to hunt. There are some good spots that you can get a deer, you just have to be ready to put in the time.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Do you have a specific place your looking at ? If you missed the first drawing your not going to get a specific site permit .....I have hunted Northern illinois public spots alot, bow you can hunt most of them but gun you need that special drawing...

Last edited by MUZZY 100; 05-16-2012 at 02:53 AM.